Monday, September 1, 2008

Day 28 of 30 Days of Praise


Yesterday, I was talking to my daughter-in-law, Lindsey, about my "unnecessary journey." The first real house we lived in here in Borger was where we live now on Crockett Street. But because of my fears (finances), we made 5 moves before we came back to Crockett Street. It's a long story...but it's based on fear. The interesting thing is, I really wanted to live near our parents to give my children the added security in their lives of knowing their grandparents. But because of my lack of faith, I created an insecurity in their lives by moving all over Borger---from house to house! How deceived we can be---and not even realize it!
I was reading Hebrews 4---which then led me to Numbers 13-14. God gives us good news of deliverance from bondage--REST--if we only believe. The story of the 12 spies who went to scout out the Promised Land is referred to in this chapter of Hebrews. Ten spies came back with an evil report---the land is very fruitful---but the giants are too big to conquer! Joshua (a picture of Christ) and Caleb came back with the report that the land is so fruitful that it takes 2 men to carry one cluster of grapes---and God has made the giants impotent---let's go get 'em!
The people did not unite in faith with the word given in faith. Numbers 14:1 says, "And ALL THE CONGREGATION cried out with a loud voice,, and they wept that night." Not one person appropiated Joshua & Caleb's word with faith!
Back to Hebrews. This is where we hear about how powerful the Word of God is. But look at it in the context of the word of Joshua & Caleb. "For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart."
Because of the Israelites unbelief, they had to wander in the wilderness for 40 years. Actually, God wanted to kill them off, but Moses reminded God of His own words, and God decided to let them live.
Wandering. My unnecessary journey. Unbelief in God's Word. Is my husband a spy? Has he gone into the Promised Land and come back with a good report? Is his dream that good report, full of faith? Am I the congregation that refuses to appropriate the word of faith? Help me, God!
I want that rest You offer. I want to receive that good news of deliverance from bondage. I want to unite in faith with those who have heard and believed.
Father, thank You. Thank You that You are willing to redeem my "unnecessary journey." Thank You that You didn't kill me off because of my unbelief. Thank You for Your longsuffering. I praise You for Your Word that is living and active and full of power. I receive Your Word to me today. Change me because of it. I want to cease from the weariness and pain of human labors, Father. I want to walk in faith--full of faith! Thank You for loving me, Daddy! I love you back. In Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

amy wright said...

That is very, very powerful. And believe me, I would have been the first to tell Joshua that he was nuts for wanting to take the land from GIANTS!!

As We Are said...

Exposing, sifting, analyzing and judging. Wow, those are hard actions to go through. I think I am on the right journey, well maybe, but for me it is what are the thoughts and purposes of my heart while I'm here? Am I headed to the promise land joyfully or dragging my feet? Am I running full speed ahead or tripping because I am looking backwards?
This was a great read Becky! Thank you! I pray and agree with you completely on this.