Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Analytical Mind

Let me start off by telling you my story from yesterday. I was carrying some things in from my car to Living Water (the benevolence ministry I direct) and my foot caught on the curb. As I was going down, I thought, "This is going to hurt!" It did. I went sliding hands first, knees second, across the graveled sidewalk, collecting gravel as I went. It was one of those times where no one could see me (I was on MAIN STREET of Borger, mind you!) because of the cars parked in front of me. And it was the one time I wished someone did see me so they could come to my rescue!! I really thought I'd cracked my knee. I knew it was hurt when I first looked at it---I could see gravel indentations in my knee. Oh boy. If you knew me very well, you'd know I have a history of falling in some bizarre places. Andy told me yesterday that it would behoove me to slow down---especially before I become a senior citizen and have the possibility of breaking a hip or something! I agree. And I only tell you this story to generate some sympathy.

My prayer partner & I were talking over lunch last week about situations in our lives. You'd love listening in on our conversations. We get together and "dump" what has happened in our lives since we last saw one another and then begin analyzing these situations---trying to learn everything God wants us to learn through them. Then we pray together. Now you must know, we see each other almost every day! ha! But you'd be amazed at how much can happen in a day---stuff we need to analyze! Back to lunch. We were examining, analyzing and talking when I asked her, "Do you think we overanalyze things?" Her immediate response was, "YES!!" We decided then and there that we need to just "Let be and be still...and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 (Re: Day 1 of 30 Days of Praise) We need to accept what comes at us, receive the lessons we need to learn and then shake it off. The shaking off is the hard part! I want to stretch it, taste it, touch it, handle it, look at it, stare at it, move it from one place to another to get a different perspective on it, put it in different lighting to see if there's a difference, etc., etc.....

Am I all alone in this? I want to learn how to receive the message God wants me to learn from these experiences without manhandling it to death. I think when I put undue attention on situations, I lock myself into it. I get stuck. I want to learn how to gain understanding...and then move on. Does any of this make sense? Or am I overanalyzing my overanalyzing?

5 comments:

Rachel said...

This makes total sense. I overanalyze a lot, but then I catch myself and repeat "Be still and know that I am God...stop analyzing...leave it alone...drop it and turn away...go eat a peice of chocolate...then exercise it off..." It may not always be that conversation, but it's pretty close. My life has been a lot simpler since taking on this revelation. Be the example of simplicity is what your daughter once told me. I have tried.

Becky Dietz said...

Oh I love it--the eating chocolate part! Think I'll go have some now...

amy wright said...

I was laughing by the end of the blog because I really was thinking,"Ha! They are analyzing that they overanalyze." And then you said it.
I guess that I just don't think like that. Maybe I just don't think. Maybe I should start to analyze a bit.

Tammy said...

Yes, I confess, I too am an analyzer. About everything!!! Ask our kids, we take two years to decide on a new car. Months and loads of samples to decide on the tile we want..... But I love to analyze almost every situation. Most women I know are analyzers, not all though. Some couldn't care less about the analytical process. Don't you think we learn from the analyzing? Russ and I analyze in different ways. Mine usually always has something to do with people. His is always mechanical, electrical......

Emily Suzanne said...

Oh my goodness! You write so much it's hard for me to keep up... the good thing is that you write so WELL that I want to keep up!!! :)
Sidenote: I used Dove aloe/cucumber... the green packaged one. Definitely should use a soap you think smells good! The good thing is it's a very very light scent so if you use a fabric sheet in your dryer it will be the dominant scent...