Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wedding Preparations

I guess since I have wedding on the brain (our anniversary, wedding pictures, etc.), God met me there today. Tell me about your wedding. Did you enter into it casually, comfortably, nonchalantly? I doubt it. If you're like me, you spent months (actually YEARS!) dreaming about it, reading Bride's magazines, saving for it, planning it and executing it. (You may argue that my pictures don't convey all that planning. ha!)
I know that with Amy's wedding, we started a year ahead of time. (And this was before Jay proposed---talk about faith! ha!) Amy wanted a Christmas wedding, so the year before, I went out and purchased Christmas lights and decorations when they were 80% off. We started storing and saving for the big day. That started a year of preparation. (Jay finally got around to proposing like in July! ha!) There was nothing casual about that year. In fact, when Matt started hearing Amy's wedding bells, he got on the ball and proposed to Lisa and we planned their wedding in 2 months. They were married 4 months before Jay & Amy. Trust me, there was nothing casual about that. And then David & Lindsey announced their intentions soon after and they were married 11 months after Jay & Amy. It was a wild ride---we just stayed in "wedding mode" that whole time.
But you know what? I loved it. I loved preparing. I loved fulfilling each of those brides' dreams---because I got to help plan and prepare all three. Just last February, Zach & Shanna were married. I got to help with those preparations, too. Every wedding was different--a different season, different colors, different dreams.
What are you doing to prepare for the biggest wedding of your dreams?!? Jesus is coming back soon. When the Bible was written, a Jewish man was engaged and then went to prepare a home for his bride. They didn't see each other during that time. And the bride prepared. She kept watch---because one day, without her knowing when, her bridegroom would show up for her. Do you think she had an idea of when it would be? Of course!!! She could see the signs---he was over there building their house---so I'm sure she walked by often to see how close it was to being finished. Their wedding would last for days. There had to be great preparation for guests who would stay for days! Lots of food, lots of gifts, lots of wine, etc. And then, she would go live with her husband in the home he'd prepared forever.
This morning, as my prayer partners & I met, we agreed we need to be preparing for the wedding. How do we prepare? Will we know when He's coming? Of course! We can see the signs He told us to look for. We CAN'T enter this time casually, nonchalantly, or comfortably as believers. We have to be focused. There needs to be an intensity about us. We need to be wise stewards. We need to be telling others about Christ. We need our oil lamps filled up just like the 5 wise virgins (bridesmaids) did in Matthew 25.
But just like we need to be prepared for that great wedding, even more we need to be prepared for that marriage. Are you? I keep reminding myself to be conformed to Christ---so that when I meet him, I won't be ashamed. It's time to purify ourselves. It's time to quit being casual. Put off your comfortable clothes and and get in shape---spiritual shape! You know, I told you that I was a size 7 in those wedding pictures. But with the intensity of all those preparations, I'd dropped to a 5---which is why my wedding dress isn't fitted. We should have that same intensity about us for this wedding! Be prepared for your wedding and the coming of your Bridegroom. Be ready to give yourself to Him purely and completely. Look up---He's coming!!

No comments: