Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Things are a-changin'

Our guys singing at a chapel service.

Volunteers bagging groceries.

Volunteers taking groceries to the clients' cars.

I'm so excited! I found out I have to be at a mandatory workshop at the food bank (not the exciting part yet) Friday. Friday is the day we give out groceries here at Living Water. It's a crazy day!! And it's the one day I hate missing the most. But what's a girl to do?
I asked a guy to preach at our chapel service who is a regular and knows how things run here. I also got someone who is great to come sing that day. I was going to get the preacher-guy to lead our prayer time...and then I stopped. Why not ask one of our "clients" who is really growing?
You see, when I first started here, I wanted to change the atmosphere of our chapel day. Instead of everyone coming in embarressed and cowed down, I wanted them to know we were delighted to have them here! So the first thing I started was a refreshment table. We have cookies or doughnuts, coffee and juice--where they help themselves. The next thing I started was a Give-Away Shelf. I put garage sale-type items on this shelf and put a little sign, "Free Stuff--Help Yourself!" And they have. (I had to laminate a little sign and tape it on the shelf itself after the framed version was taken! Is that not hysterical?? I still laugh every time I think of that. ha!) The next thing I added was a prayer time---praying for the clients' prayer needs. It was very successful!! We started seeing incredible answers to our prayers---God wanted them to know He is God! Then we added a praise time---where people openly shared answers to their/our prayers. The whole atmosphere at Living Water has really changed.
It's so exciting to see things grow and change. We already have 2 clients who love to take their turn singing during our chapel service. And I know it was God who prompted me this morning to ask this woman to lead our prayer time Friday. She'll do a great job!! I can't wait to hear all about it when I get home. And since that worked so well, I called another woman and asked her to call out the numbers to hand out the groceries. She was delighted that I asked her. I just can't wait to see where this will lead.
I'm already excited because so many of our clients are getting involved in the 8 churches that support Living Water--some have even been baptized. Lives are being changed. They are seeing God at work. And so am I.

7 comments:

Ilene said...

Wow Becky. Exciting times! I love reading about all that you do. God is so good!

As We Are said...

I love it. That is amazing! I know you work your butt off, but I have definately seen much fruit of your labor. I can't wait to hear more about those 2 women! It's amazing what women will do when they feel full of purpose!

amy wright said...

How fun! Feeling useful sure makes a difference in life!!

Lindsey said...

This looks like fun! I wish we were there to help! I think we're going to start doing more at Faith City. We need to pour into some people, you know? No, I didn't get a new camera...yet. I took those with my phone. Not bad, huh?

Enjoying the journey... said...

Serving is such a joy, and contagious!!

Anonymous said...

This sounds great Becky! Thanks for sharing. God is good.

Rachel said...

I love to hear of bearing fruit. I'm looking forward to an update on those two women.