Saturday, September 27, 2008

33 Years!

Today, Andy & I are celebrating our 33rd anniversary. So I got up early this morning and rummaged until I found our wedding album and since I don't have a scanner that works, I took pictures of pictures. They may not be great quality, but you'll get the general idea of what we looked like 33 years ago. Take into consideration that Andy had a long mustache the day before we got married---and I'd never seen him without one!! So it was a total surprise when I saw him on our wedding day. I thought he was going to pass out during the ceremony---but he was just actually a little whiter where his mustache had been. ha!



My dad walking me down the aisle. Andy & I were married on a Saturday, September 27, 1975. Notice the woman in the background wearing gloves. I got my dress at Daisy's in Amarillo.



I don't think unity candles were very old at this point. Isn't my arrangement lovely? I had a cathedral veil.....and was a size 7. Sigh.....



Here we are leaving after the ceremony. Andy chose my bouquet himself. I LOVED it!!! Love that ruffled shirt, don't you?



This is the reason you save a napkin....so you can take a picture of it 33 years later. Don't you love the blue???



So in love. I had thought about children. I was thinking 4. But I never thought past the point of the oldest one being about 6 years old. I certainly never considered being a GRANDMOTHER!!



Our wedding party. Don't you love my bridesmaid's hats? If you'll notice, each bridesmaid's dress was just a little bit different---not by design. They each had a different seamstress and it just happened. The flower girl and ring bearer were my little cousins. The flower girl's dress was a Holly Hobby pattern.




Yes! We had blue punch. Quite tasty! Andy was 25 years old and I was 19. When we left the church to make our getaway, I was supposed to toss my bouquet. But instead, Andy dragged me down the steps of the church, I dropped my bouquet and I tore holes in my hose and my knees were bleeding. I couldn't find those pictures---but trust me, they were lovely! We went to Amarillo to our new apartment on our wedding night and then went to Red River, NM for our honeymoon.
Andy & I are celebrating our 33rd anniversary with our youngest son, Zach & his new wife, Shanna. They live in Lubbock. They just fed us a wonderful steak dinner. I reminded Andy of the 1st dinner we cooked for someone else. I made a pot roast....and the roast was....not done. So I fried it up on my electric skillet. I think I sat down and cried after they left. It was a disaster. Zach & Shanna are way ahead of the curve. I'm taking home a new recipe for apple dumplings that are out of this world!
It's hard to believe we've been married for 33 years. But they've been great. I married my best friend...and it's only gotten better. Thank You, God, for blessing me with the best!

5 comments:

TheShermanFam said...

I think your blog should be Never A Dull Moment instead of mine! So I guess you knew from day one that your life would be full of suprises from that moment on! HA!
The blue punch is killing me!
Thanks for sharing and Happy Anniversary!!!

Anonymous said...

You were (and still are!) so beautiful! Andy wasn't bad himself. I don't have many pictures of my wedding...I wish I had more...I am proud of you two for hanging in there for all those years...what an inspiration! David and I have been married 13 years...and I know someday we too will be celebrating our 33rd! Congrats!!

amy wright said...

I love the pictures and would have hated to have been your bridesmaid. Ha ha!

As We Are said...

Yes, I would have hated that hat as well! I can tell from these pics that Zach definately takes after his Daddy. I also can't imagine Andy with a mustache!

Kara said...

Absolutely stunning bride. Happy Anniversary again, sorry I'm sending late wishes!