Sunday, September 7, 2008

Aren't Sundays a Day of Rest?

When did Sundays QUIT being a day of rest? Is it like this for everyone---or just for church staff? Let me outline my day for you. The alarm went off at 7. I got up and put a breakfast casserole into the oven for our Sunday School breakfast for all the adult Sunday Schools. I also put on a crockpot full of green beans for the Deacon/Widow lunch after church. (Thanks for that idea, Sandra! Worked great!) I got to church at 8:30 and helped get the tables set up for the breakfast. Then I went and opened the library for 30 minutes. We ate breakfast, Andy taught, I cleaned up and we went to "big church." We had a great service, by the way. As soon as church was over, I went to see if the library was manned (it was), so I went to the fellowship hall to help set up for the lunch. We ate and I gathered my dishes and headed home. I came home and cleaned up my kitchen that I hadn't cleaned before I left this morning---and then made a batch of brownies for the Adopt-A-Student cookout tonight. Then I cleaned up more mess. I did get to lay down for 1 1/2 hours. I left the house at 3:30 to go to the church to fill the goodie bags for the college students. Then I drove the church van to the college and began setting up for the cookout. Donna M. & I decided the men hadn't gotten enough food, so I made a run to United for more of everything. Got back, helped serve food, greeted students, handed out goodie bags and came home. I got home at 8:30 p.m.!! I am EXHAUSTED!!! I know not every Sunday is like this....but come on! I'd like that day of rest that God promised!!

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Now you know why I say "no" to so many things! LOL Maybe you can get a nap when you get home from work tomorrow...if not, there's always next Sunday. :)

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding?? That is my day everyday and Sunday is no exception! I guess that's the joy of having 3 kids, though...I used to think that maybe when they leave home things will calm down...but reading your blog just burst my bubble!

Emily Suzanne said...

Oh Sundays!!! I remember them being a day of stress instead of rest for us.
Now, I'm truly soaking up that rest... maybe a little too much!? :)

Tammy said...

The churches we have been in, the staff, deacon's, Sunday school teacher's, whoever they may be ..... and their families were always way over scheduled. We have never been involved in a large church, but I think it may be the same for a lot of churches, the "doer's" are involved in everything. Sometimes there are others who would like to do the work and just don't know how to get involved and then there are those who will just let other's do it. And I think it has a lot to do with your gift. Not everyone is cut out to do what you do. I don't even know what all you do, just some of it, but I am thankful for what I know of! But don't you just get tired sometimes?

Kara said...

Ah I'm exhausted just reading your blog.

Sandra said...

Was the day of rest a promise or a command?? Hmmmm.... I'll have to look that up.