Wednesday, August 20, 2008

His "best girl"

I had a great time in Florida. What's not to love? The weather was perfect, the scenery was beautiful, my family is awesome...it was great! I love Josiah's well-developed sense of humor. He's hysterical!! He kept teasing me on the way to the airport that he'd lost his gum. Of course, he could hardly talk around it in his mouth, but he was trying to convince me that he'd swallowed it. Olivia is changing every day. She got upset when we got there because the boys were so "welcoming," but by the time we left, she was reaching for us and giving us huge grins. She learned to hold the phone up to her ear and say, "hello" while we were there. She waves bye-bye to me all the time. What a sweetie! I got to teach Isaac how to blow a bubble with his gum. I'm sure his tongue is sore from all the practice. But what made my trip so special was our ride to the airport to come home. I sat in the back in-between the boys' car seats (yep---tight sqeeze!!) and Isaac held my hand the entire way. He kept telling me, "I'm going to miss you, Gee." Of course, he'd been saying this for 2 days when he realized our time was short. But at one point, he leaned into my ear and whispered, "Gee, I'll call you every day!" For a moment in time, I was Isaac's "best girl." What a memory to treasure in my heart.
This morning, as I was thinking on writing this in a blog, a memory popped into my mind. This is his heritage. I remember his mommy doing something very similar. Amy loved going to visit my parents when she was young. I remember when she was about Isaac's age that she told my dad, "Papa, I'm going to marry you when I get big!" He promised her that he'd wait on her. He must have held that in his heart, too.

3 comments:

As We Are said...

Oh sheesh, this makes me want to cry! So sweet. Isaac will make a great husband someday.

Janis said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip! Thanks for letting Emily & Luke stay in your house.

amy wright said...

Well, just tonight Isaac woke up crying for me. I went to check on him and he was already falling back to sleep. I asked what was wrong and all he said was, "Mommy, when is Gee? Where is Gee? Where is, where is? Mommy, mommy, When is Gee? Gee." And he went to sleep. I think that he loves you. :)
Also, I meant it when I said I would marry my Papa. He was my "best fella". Sometimes I wish that he was still here to laugh at my kids with me. He would have!