Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 21 of 30 Days of Praise

Did you know that I'm not my husband's teacher, his counselor, or his Holy Spirit? He doesn't need my help at all!! Ok...I know. God calls me his "helpmeet," but he really doesn't need me. He especially doesn't need my "guidance." So why do I feel this extraordinary need to correct him or "suggest" ways of doing things? Am I the only one here or can I hear a "that's right!" in the house?

If you'll remember, the reason I started the 30 Days of Praise was because I wanted to praise God while I learned to pursue this thing of encouraging my husband's dreams. (Refer to Day 1 of 30 Days of Praise) Now I'll admit to you that I'm in a totally new arena of my life. You may be pleased to know that I HAVE asked my husband what his dream is....and he's told me. I've also told him that I'm ready to help him achieve his dream. (The revelation of what that is may come later---it's really his to tell.) Have you asked your husband what his dream is? One of my friends was delighted when she found out what her husband's dream was---it was more than she expected. Another friends' husband had to think on it. My friend was sad---it made her think that his dreams had been squelched for way too long. It's RISKY!! You know that? It's risky to ask, knowing then you'll be responsible to get behind your husband.

But another thing I'm learning is that God may then begin preparing your husband and you for that dream---or your future. I'm trying to learn to keep my mouth shut so God can do all the talking to my husband. It's made me realize I've put myself in the position God has wanted all this time. Hmmm...might that be called idolatry?

The thing that has surprised me is that I thought my husband would rush right out to take his dream. That hasn't happened. He seems to be waiting on God. Now come on...really!! Don't you think if the person who'd been hindering you all these years got out of the way that you wouldn't run out to get it? This is surprising the dickens out of me. Who'dathunk?

I just want to encourage you in your own journey of encouraging your husband's dreams. "And the wife must see to it that she deeply respects her husband---obeying, praising and honoring him." Ephesians 5:33
Press onward, sisters!
Father, thank You for my husband. Thank you that he loves You and listens to You. Thank You that he's obedient to You. Thank You that he's a man I can follow wholeheartedly. I praise You for this gift You've given me. I praise You for the dreams You've planted in his heart. Fulfill his dreams, Father. Keep me out of the way with my mouth shut. I know in my head he doesn't need my instruction--bring it on down to my heart! Teach me, Holy Spirit. Counsel me every step of the way. Thank You for how You're changing me. I love You for it. Help all my friends out there who are brave enough to take this journey with me. Bless them, God. I love You, Daddy! In Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

Kara said...

That's RIGHT!!

Actually thank you for the reminder of not correcting but respecting our husbands. We all need to be reminded every once in awhile. Thank you God for providing us Godly husbands. Amen.