Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 20 of 30 Days of Praise


The thought just crossed my mind: What am I going to blog about after 30 Days of Praise??? Yikes!! Oh well...I'm wordy enough something will come to me!
I'm praising God today for sisterhood. What a wonderful thing God did to put little hooks in our hearts that can only be connected to another sister. Sisters come in all sizes, ages and shapes, too.
I have one biological sister. I prayed for this sister to come into existence!! No joke. I began praying for a sister and---Wahlah! My mom got pregnant---with no intention of getting pregnant. So I took full responsibility for this sister when she was born. I was 8 years old at the time so my best friend & I would spend hours pushing her up and down the sidewalk in an old-fashioned baby carriage. I can remember crying when she got her first spanking. I also remember the day she fell off the kitchen counter and as mom & dad were trying to get her to breathe again, I was yelling & screaming, "She has a sucker in her mouth!!!" No wonder I panicked over everything my own kids did!!! I'm just no good in emergencies. Back to the real subject....I love my sister, Sandra.
But as I've gotten older, I've gained lots of sisters. I have sisters that helped me through the little kid stage. We would go out to get a coke at night while our husbands watched the kids (I refuse to call that "babysitting") about once a month. We did wild and crazy things while we were out. I swear that's how we kept our sanity through those days! We went and planted tampons in another friends' yard---the kind that "bloom" when wet. HYSTERICAL! There's so much more to that story....
I have sisters who have walked through tragedies with me. We've cried together, wailed together, prayed and fasted together. We've literally held each other's hands while walking through some very tough times.
I have sisters who challenge me! They are the iron---that sharpens my iron. They don't let me get by with anything! (Sometimes I wish they would!!) They give it to me straight and keep me on the path of Truth.
I have a sister that came in the form of a daughter. That began while I was still mothering her. We had 2 other sisters that we'd go get a coke with about once a month and we'd drive around Borger talking and laughing together. We'd even do spiritual warfare occasionally. I never knew Amy would become such a sweet sister to me. I might add that the same has happened with my 3 daughters-in-law.
I have sisters from other nations. I never expected that one!! But how awesome. We keep in close contact with email and share burdens and successes with one another.
Father, I praise You for sisters. What a wonderful idea you had!!! Thank You for understanding that we would need that. Thank you for creating us with that need, desire and the way to fulfill it. You are awesome to make us so multi-dimensional. I can't believe You're a man!! hee-hee! You're so good to us. For those who don't have a sister yet, give them one! I know they need it. Thank You for mine. I love you Daddy. In Jesus' name, Amen
Here's a pic of me with some of my sisters.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I always loved the story of you praying me into existence - made me feel loved & wanted.

Sandra said...

You mean Mom didn't WANT to be pregnant with me?!!? LOL