Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 17 of 30 Days of Praise

I'm going to praise God all day long for my FRIENDS! I know I'm the richest woman in the world because of my friends. Andy & I discussed this at length on our way to Florida. Where would we be without our friends? I can't imagine living anywhere else---and not getting to be around my friends on a regular basis. They've invested in our lives---and hopefully, we have in theirs. We have friends that know our ugly warts and all and still like hanging around us. That amazes me! I've watched Jay & Amy develop the same kind of friendships in Dalhart and it blesses me to see young families making those same kind of investments. And it also increased my friendship base---those friends of Amy's have become my friends.
When we got back to Amarillo from Florida, we went to eat dinner with David & Lindsey at Rosa's. David turned to me and said, "See that grayheaded guy back there? I know him from somewhere." I turned and looked----and it was our good friend from 24 years ago---Frank DeRight! We had a reunion right there in Rosa's! He was, in fact, Andy's best friend while Andy was youth minister at our first church. Later, I asked David if he knew how old he was the last time he saw Frank. He was a whopping 2 1/2 years old!!!! But he knew that he knew him. We were that close of friends that David remembered him.
I don't think I could survive without close friendships. And now I have friends who know everything about me, who pray with me, who carry me when I can't go another step.
I'm blessed to even think that Jesus had close friendships. He narrowed the crowds down to 12. He took his 3 best friends up the mountain---Peter, James & John---to witness a transfiguration. And John continually calls himself Jesus' best friend. I like that pattern Jesus left for us. God tells us there will be friends who stick closer than a brother. I hope you've found that kind of friend.
Father, thank You for friends. I'm blessed by the friends You've brought into my life. They nourish my soul. Would You do something special in their lives today just because they've blessed me so much---and just let them know it's a little gift for being such a good friend? I love you, Daddy. In Jesus' name, Amen.

3 comments:

Enjoying the journey... said...

just wanted you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog. Of course it is extra special when there are wright family stories. Thanks for blogging. Katy

Amy said...

I can tell you exactly what Frank DeRight looked like. That makes me happy to know that my kids will remember our good friends from Dalhart and from college. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a sweet story about friends. You are so right about how important they are. I pray that I am a good friend always. Thanks for the inspiration. Keep on bloggin!