Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day 8 of 30 Days of Praise

This morning, I met with my prayer partners again and God revealed some huge things to us. WOW! And then I've had a busy morning (and this happens alot!)---Satan stole what God showed us!! I sat down to blog and couldn't remember a thing. So I just called Jodina to ask her what it was that God taught us this morning. Thank goodness she remembered!

So many things...but I'll start here. You know it's so hard for us as women to give up control over our husbands because we fear where he'll take us. But do you realize that what we manipulate into being we become responsible for? For instance, Jodina shared this morning about her trip to Dallas this weekend with her family. She and the kids were ready to come home on Sunday. She had a choice. She could manipulate her husband into leaving---or submit and "let go" and go with the flow. (The reason I share her real-life example is because she passed the test!!) The thought that came to her to help her pass the test was this, "If I manipulate my husband into leaving, what if we have a wreck or a flat tire?" If any of those things would have happened, she would have felt responsible and possibly been blamed. Do you see how we become responsible for what we manipulate?

The other thing God showed me was a real-life example of a person who is at the end of their life who has manipulated her whole adult life. She has no one left to manipulate, so when she is around any of her family, it's like she is striking out with wild arms trying to rein someone in to manipulate, to hear her, to bring someone under control. And...here's the kicker....no one wants to be around her. And...her manipulation is no longer low-profile.

You know what I mean by that, right? When you're young, you can cover up any manipulation and make it look like it "just happened" or you made a little suggestion and everyone was on board. When you get to middle age, you can't cover up quite as well. People around you recognize your manipulation for what it is. And the older you get, the more blatant it is. Why? Because as you age, your defenses drop. I'm sure you've seen it with your parents and grandparents. People care less the older they get about what others think---they feel they have the "right" to be outspoken or manipulative. Sometimes it's just become a habit.

I Peter 3:1 says this, "IN LIKE manner, you married women, be submissive to your own husbands [subordinate yourselves as being secondary to and dependent on them, and adapt yourselves to them], so that even if any do not obey the Word [of God], they may be won over not by discussion but by the [godly] lives of their wives..." ADAPT yourselves to your husbands. That may mean rolling with the punches every which way in a 24 hour period. I know some husbands who've been described as a Jekyll & Hyde. Adapt. Fit in. Let be. And whatever you do.....don't manipulate.

Father, help us as women. You knew what a hard position this would be. I want to praise you today for revealed Truth. Thank you that you haven't left us helpless, but you've given us a Helper to walk this winding path. You've given us a Helper to teach us not to manipulate. You've given us a Helper to help us let go. Helper, please help us as women. I know you understand our position. Thank You, Father, for all the help You have given and will give. In Jesus' name, Amen.

3 comments:

amy wright said...

Eew! I don't want to be like this. I'm going to start paying attention to this (in me)!!

Kara said...

I too don't want to be like this and will pray that I don't do that ever. Amen and yay HODINA!!! I've missed her.

Anonymous said...

Alright, I agree that we should respect our husbands and that they are our helpers. But isn't a marriage 50/50? Shouldn't it be give and take on BOTH sides?? If I were somewhere and wanted to leave I would tell my husband that. Maybe we could work something out. But to back down and just give in without discussion, I am sorry but I can't and won't do that. He should have to give in some too! I realize it is bad to manipulate people and you and I both know I am no stranger to manipulation. But the "new" me is trying to talk things out honestly...not manipulate. I will be honest it doesn't always work but I am trying.