Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 24 of 30 Days of Praise

This morning I'm praising God for Jesus' example.  This morning I read John 14.  I highly recommend it!  This is what verses 30 & 31 say, 
"I will not talk with you much more, for the prince (evil genius, ruler) of the world is coming. And he has no claim on Me. [He has nothing in common with Me; there is nothing in Me that belongs to him, and he has no power over Me.  But [Satan is coming and] I do as the Father has commanded Me, so that the world may know (be convinced) that I love the Father and that I do only what the Father has instructed Me to do. [I act in full agreement with His orders.] Rise, let us go away from here."
Jesus only did what the Father instructed Him to do.  A few verses earlier, here's what Jesus says about us, "The person who has My commands and keeps them is the one who [really] loves Me; and whoever [really] loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I [too] will love him and will show (reveal, manifest) Myself to him. [I will let Myself be clearly seen by him and make Myself real to him.]" 
So today, I'm asking God to give me a new hunger for His Word.  In order for me to hear God's instructions and not be deceived, I have to be in His Word.  In order to obey God and keep His commands, I have to know what they are.  In order to be like Jesus, I have to know what He did.  
When my kids were all in school, I realized one day I'd never read through the whole Bible.  So I set out to do just that.  And what that did was create an insatiable appetite for the Word.  It was a glorious time.  Of course, life changes.  I no longer have a whole day to sit and read and study the Bible.  But I do have time.  Recently, I realized how little time I was devoting to it....so once again, I've purposed to get in the Word.  It changes you.  It builds faith.  (Romans 10:17, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.")  It transforms you and renews your mind.  It leads you into Truth!  I want to love the things Jesus loved.  I want to do the things Jesus did.  I want to be like Him.
Father, thank You that You didn't leave us without examples to follow---and the greatest of these is Your own Son, Jesus.  Thank You for Your Word that instructs us and gives us the Way to LIFE!  Thank You that You love us.  I want to please You, Father.  I want to be an example for others to follow.  Keep me close to You.  Oh!  And thank You for sealing Your Spirit inside me to teach me---what a deal!  You've blessed me, Daddy---and I love you!!  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: