Saturday, August 30, 2008

Day 26 of 30 Days of Praise

Well, another day to share what else I learned from G&G at Living Water on Wednesday.  We were talking about what respect and disrespect look like to men.  They really didn't want to get into this conversation, but once we got started, it was hard to stop them!  They got on a roll.

I gave them a scenario about if a husband delegates the finances to his wife, but then she wants him to lead and begins trying to give the finances back to him---how does that make a man feel?  (Now you have to know that one of the G's was a banker!)  His reply to me was that it's going to create a vacuum and make the man very confused.  Being head of the home brings great responsibility...and if he's asked you to do the finances, it's probably because he sees you're more gifted in that area.  I used finances specifically because it seems a lot of women are very confused about this area---like me~!   His answer really satisfied me!!  It brought understanding to my own heart.  And, of course, it could be applied to anything in your marriage!  It's made me want to do what my husband has delegated to me with even more passion----he sees me as capable!
They both told me that a controlling woman is very disrespectful.  A man needs a woman to be dependent on him in some ways.  He needs to be needed.  But they said it's a very thin line---they don't want us being too dependent on them.  G used an illustration.  He said if his wife wants a new car, he'd like for her to come ask him what to look for, what's a good deal---be dependent on him in the process.  But...if she asked him to go to the grocery store with her everytime she went and asked if she should get this can or that can---that would be being too dependent.
And they ended with this bit of advice which I think is a great way to end.  "A domineering spirit is headed for trouble."  Wow!  I have to wonder how poor Andy has survived!!  Yikes!!  I've got a long way to go...but I think I'm now more equipped and headed in the right direction.
Father, thank You for what You're teaching me.  Thank You for insight from a man into Your Word about respect.  Communication---what a great idea You had!  If I'd only learned to listen earlier, Father....I could be so much further down the road.  But thank You that I'm learning.  Help me, teach me---I'm all Yours!  I love you, Daddy!  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: