Wednesday, October 1, 2008

When Guilt Moved In

Guilt moved in
One piece of furniture at a time.
How was I to know that
She wanted what was mine?

Subtle, at first, 
She brought in beautiful, fresh paint.
"Lie down, lie down!," she said,
"I wouldn't want you faint."

She rearranged each room
Until I was confused.
The suggestions that I offered her
Were....REFUSED!

Why don't you paint that chair?
And move it over there?
How can you stand that clock
And it's loud tick-tock?

Why do you have this art?
Don't you think it's ugly?
Give it to old blind Bart
You've ignored him lately.

"Move this, change that!"
Her voice grew louder and louder.
I felt pressed and torn;
All I could do was cower.

My strength was gone,
My arms sagged, I had no more fight.
Why did I let her in?
She's taken all my rights.

What's that?  A knock on the door!
The Prince of Peace comes in.
"Be gone!  Away with you!
I know your real name--SIN!"

"My dear," He said, 
"You must guard the door of your mind.
Don't invite Guilt in
And My restful peace you'll find."

2 comments:

Ilene said...

This is awesome! Did you write it?

Kara said...

WOW!!!!