Friday, October 17, 2008

Phone Numbers

My bratty 30-year-old "kid" brought something to my attention this past week. (Hope you're reading, Matt!) He called me needing his uncle's phone number, so I gave it to him. He said he also might call his grandmother, so I asked him if he needed her phone number, too. "Nope," he said, "Granny's number is xxx-xxxxx, Mama's number is xxx-xxxx and your number is xxx-xxxx. Old people never change their phone numbers!!" Can you believe he called me OLD????

What do you think this says about our society? You should see my address book!! I started using white-out because my kids' numbers changed so often. In fact, I'm surprised they still sell address books. How do they make any money? Or maybe it's a lucrative business because people change addresses and phone numbers so often.

But seriously. I think there's something to this....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how come all of you guys have xxx-xxxx for a phone number? there aren't any numbers anywhere! And, if I did figure out how to dial xxx-xxxx, how would I know if I'm calling Granny, Mama, or Becky?
This new technology is confusing. Skype is as old-fashioned as it gets.

amy wright said...

I have an address book...sitting on my nightstand...waiting to be use. Hmmm....

Sandra said...

Does this mean I need to change my number so I won't be considered old?!!?

Julie Simmons said...

i haven't kept an address book in years.......of course, i haven't kept the same address for any length of time either....things that make you say hmmmm.....

Sandra said...

I haven't thought to ask...has your car been repaired?

Becky Dietz said...

Wow, Sandra! That "OLD" comment really got to you!! Already getting rid of your landline just because of what Matt said? hee-hee!
No...my car is still just sitting there. Andy & I are re-learning how to get along with one car. We have someone coming to take a look at it. Be praying!!