Thursday, April 30, 2009

I have a story to tell...

Roy & Gayle (Grogan) Young

Some of you know Gayle Grogan from Borger. She was married to Dru Grogan and had three children with him. They were the best of friends. Dru volunteered at Living Water when he retired from United Supermarkets---and what a perfect fit! He was over our food room. Gayle has a beautiful voice and would sing on occasion at LW also. She also taught "Women of Worth" to the women who came to Living Water.
Dru died about 3 1/2 years ago. He got sick and within a matter of a few months, he was gone to heaven. We were all devastated by his loss. But none more than Gayle. She'd lost her best friend.
After Dru died, I emailed Gayle, as a friend, and gave her "permission" to grieve. You see, Gayle is a very godly woman and I know it was in her heart to do this "right" because people love and admire her and she knew they were watching. And I know that she would have wanted everyone to believe she was ok when she really wasn't. And she did grieve....for about 2 years. About 16 months ago, Gayle came to me out of the blue and told me, "My grief is over." I was astounded!!! I'd never heard anyone say that! I didn't know your grief could be over! Of course, she still had sad moments, but for the most part, her grief was over.
Enter Roy. Roy is a man 9 years older than Gayle and he quietly began pursuing Gayle a year ago. (Boy! Was his timing perfect!) At first, Gayle only wanted a friendship. But one day about 4 months ago, she realized she wanted that man! And they began "dating with purpose," she told me. (She also told me they would wait a year before they talked about marriage, but we won't remind her of those things.) Last Saturday afternoon, they were quietly married in her friend's home. (I highly recommend these kinds of weddings! Talk about simple and sweet!)
It just amazes me to see God at work.
And the reason I like this story so well is because Gayle walked through her grief, but knew when it was over. And then God moved in....


2 comments:

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

Very cool. Glad she has found someone else to enjoy her life with!

amelia bedelia said...

I love this story, Becky. I watched the video on your facebook. I LOVED watching Danny do the video camera. I am going to call Mom and have her read this.