Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's Getting Simpler--2nd Post


After reading My Utmost for His Highest this morning, Jodina & I went walking. I began to share with her what I felt God was showing me. And I used these very words: "It's getting simpler." The older I get, the more I understand about God, the simpler it gets! I used to think God had created me for some higher purpose---that there was some mountain to climb, some thing to achieve, some purpose to figure out--for God's glory. I think God does plant a seed of greatness in each of us. It gives us the drive to serve Him. But I think that seed of greatness is a quickening in our spirits that we are royalty. We are a child of the King. It's not about achieving greatness...it's about worshiping greatness, His Majesty, the King.

I always think of John F. Kennedy, Jr. I'm old enough to remember when the photo was taken of him under his father's desk in the Oval Office. He had complete access to his father at any time. His father was the most important man in the world at the time...and yet his son had total access to him.

Just like us. We have complete access to our Father, the King. But most of us (just like JFK, jr.) are no longer children. Even though God told us to come to Him as a little child, we're no longer children. If JFK were still alive and still the president, John-John (JFK jr.'s nickname) wouldn't be hiding out under the desk any longer, playing. Imagine that JFK jr. served in some political capacity for his father. He'd approach his father in a different manner, but maybe with the same heart. He'd come at an appropriate time with an understanding of who his father was. He'd come with respect. And he'd ask his father questions. And he'd carry out the will of his father (even though he might have differing opinions).

The older I get, the simpler it gets. I'm approaching my Father differently these days. I bow before Him and ask him (like Esther asked her king), "If I've found favor in your sight, would you..." And I offer Him my service for the day. I come humbly (which is how a child comes) and respectfully. Through this, I'm understanding it's all about Him and His plan. I'm here to serve and obey. I don't have to have the big plan or purpose or achieve greatness. I just serve the One who is Great. You understand this is my new guide. I'm still learning.

1 comment:

amy wright said...

This is so cool because it goes along with what God has been showing me...in a way.
I'm reading some excerpts from "The Dark Night of the Soul" by John of the Cross (1542-1591)
I need to re-read what you wrote.