Wednesday, December 31, 2008

So long 2008....

Where did 2008 go? Wow! What a race. When I read Lindsey's post, it made me want to look back at my own year and share what I did and learned....so I got out my cute calendar. (I wonder why I didn't get another cute calendar this year???)

January: I was busy getting ready for Zach & Shanna's wedding. I carefully timed my haircut and color that month to make it to the wedding looking good.
What I learned: Planning ahead helps you look good.

February: Zach & Shanna got married! The wedding was beautiful and FUN! Shanna was gorgeous and Zach, his groomsmen, & the little guys were so cute in their Converse shoes.
What I learned: Don't plan family pictures with small children before a wedding. And I learned a flower girl can walk down the aisle in a poopy diaper!

March: Andy & I went to Israel! How amazing and what an adventure! Our church gave it to us as a gift for our 20th anniversary at FBC. We had a wonderful time and learned so much.
What I learned: Don't throw away your bad swimsuit before you get to the Dead Sea!

April: According to my calendar, we spent quite a bit of time with Amy's boys in April. They had a birthday we attended and then they came to stay with us for a weekend---when their parents went to Florida for an interview, I believe.
What I learned: Appreciate the time you have with grandkids. You don't know when they'll move!

May: We attended David's graduation from CFNI in Dallas. We were so proud of Dave and we had so much fun. The guys went to a baseball game with Uncle Gary and the girls went shopping.
What I learned: Don't start a trip off by getting mad at your husband.

June: Several things happened in June. We attended another wedding in Borger. And then I went to Jay's graduation in Florida. Proud once again! I knew at this point of the possibility of Jay & Amy moving, so I was anxious to see where they would be. And Andy went to China.
What I learned: To let go.

July: We had a Girl's Night in July at my mom's house in Amy's honor--since she was moving. What fun--watching movies and getting a manicure the next day. And Andy went to China yet again.
What I learned: We have great women in the Sanders family!! And that I can stay alone for weeks at a time!

August: Another wedding in Borger (this was the year for weddings--I'm seeing a trend here!). And then Andy & I drove Jay's car to Florida. We had so much fun driving down and then spending time in their new home.
What I learned: I love spending time on the road with my husband---when I'm not mad! (See May---but I did learn!!) And I learned to treasure the time we have together as a family.

September: We celebrated Andy's 58th birthday. I really don't see much else on that month. I know we wanted to go to the mountains, but we were so busy we never got the chance.
What I learned: When you're busy, you don't take the time to write on your calendar.

October: I had the privilege of speaking at a retreat for the Dalhart women. What a great group of women!! I love those girls. And Lindsey went with me.
What I learned: I learned not just to listen to God, but to obey quickly.

November: This month seemed to be consumed with getting ready for the holiday food give-aways at Living Water. We were VERY busy getting ready!
What I learned: To give up control. I didn't think our new way of collecting food would work. Was I ever wrong!

December: PARTIES!! I think we attended 10 of them. Christmas at Living Water was incredible. And our own Christmas was special. And I turned 53.
What I learned: To enjoy the season. And I can enjoy it even when one of my kids lives half-way across our nation. I also learned the season is more special the more you help others.

Seriously....God has been so good to us. And you know what? I didn't even remember half of this stuff until I got the calendar out! This has been a very full year--no wonder I'm so tired!! Andy & I had a date tonight and talked about where we want to be this time next year. I just want to keep growing spiritually. And one way I'm going to do that is by making a budget. I've resisted this for 33 years. And Andy's wanted me to agree to do it for 33 years. So...I'm finally hoping to submit. I think it's all about control. (Actually, I'm sure of it!) Maybe there's a pattern in what God is teaching me after all! Here's to a great 2009!! Happy New Year everyone! And God bless us all. May our year ahead be blessed!!

5 comments:

amy wright said...

Man, we really messed with your 2008!

Rachel said...

Amy, you can not mess with someone's year if you were where you were. You are where you are. And you will be where you will be. HA!

You had a really busy year. I will be right there beside you with a budget. This time I'm going to stick with it.

Lindsey said...

Don't forget that in August, you took 2 of your other grandkids on a plane ride! What a year!

As We Are said...

Wow, you said the "b" word. Remember, you told me you love a challenge! There's one for the books! I need to re-budget after the holidays. What a rush!
Happy New Year Becky!

Kara said...

Aw I love your reflection and most importantly what you learned. That reminds me, I still need to get your photo book together. Can I call you soon to talk about them? The gallery they were once on are all gone.

K