Monday, December 8, 2008

Heavenly Emotions

Isaiah 9:6
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."


We usually hear this verse at Christmas time with a Christmas message. And that's what our visiting preacher at Living Water did this past Friday. But my mind started wandering as he was preaching. (Imagine that!) He made the point that most people misquote this verse as saying, "Wonderful, Counselor," when it's really, "Wonderful Counselor." He is the wonderful counselor! I can attest to the truth of that statement! He's given me lots of wonderful counsel over the years. The preacher then broke down each name of God and what it meant.

Today, for some reason, I've been pretty emotional. Maybe it's because I'm praying for some sweet girls and their emotions. But that "wonderful counselor" thing came back into my mind. Here's what I was thinking about when my mind wandered: I wonder what perfect emotions look like in heaven? There won't be any drama queens in heaven---which is a word to me here on earth! But since God created us in His image, and we have emotions here, I'm expecting to have them in heaven. How will we express them there? And then how does that relate to how I should express them here on earth?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I never have thought about that! I have trouble with my emotions here on earth...as you know, I tend to bottle them up until I can't take it anymore then I do something bad to release all the stress. I have to admit I have been dealing with that lately. I have been struggling with depression the past couple of weeks but I keep bottling it up. That's partly why I didn't want to meet today. I didn't want to open up and be emotional with anyone. But I need to be. We both know what happens when I don't. Will you pray for me, please???

In the meantime I will think about what emotions will be like in heaven. Will we feel them more than we do now? What about negative emotions...will there just be positive ones? And...if I can't be honest and show my emotions here, will I be able to there? Maybe I just need to let Jesus and people around me in so they can help me more until I get to see him face to face and he can help me in person!

Sandra said...

Interesting thought! I was going to leave a comment, but it got so long, I may just post it. LOL!

TheShermanFam said...

Hmmmm...you have my little wheels turning. This is a lot to think about...and like Sandra, it is too long!!