Friday, December 19, 2008

The Sanctuary Challenge

Ok...several are "in" on The Sanctuary Challenge. Here's what you do....
First of all, I think it's important to repent of ever cursing God's sanctuary. What is cursing? The opposite of blessing. If you've ever cursed your body in your own mind, repent. (Repent means to confess and change your mind)
Then I think it's important to become aware of your thought processes about your body, about your insecurities and your judgment toward others.
I went to a seminar taught by Bill & Anabel Gillham many years ago and that's when I learned that Satan speaks to us (in our minds) in 1st person singular. Now for those who aren't English majors (or don't remember 7th grade English), that means that Satan speaks to me like this: "I'm so fat." He doesn't say, "Becky, you are so fat." That way...I think it's MY thoughts---when all the time he's putting those thoughts in my mind! The other way would be way too obvious---I'd know it was him speaking to me! You do know that all sin starts in the mind, right? Satan--or his demons--whisper thoughts to us all the time. And most of that time, we just allow thoughts to run rampant all day long without ever taking them captive. God has told us to take thoughts captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ. We need to stop them! Examine them. And see if they line up with the Word of God. And allowing the thoughts that Satan puts in my mind about my body is certainly going to be contrary to the Word of God! I need to stop them and quit entertaining them.
And then I need to allow God to transform me by the renewing of my mind. Start coming in agreement with God's Word. My body is the temple of God. Most people use that verse to tell me that I need to diet or work out. But once again---I believe it all starts in the mind. I'm not going to diet (or change my lifestyle) or work out if my mind hasn't been changed. And changing my mind is the work of the Holy Spirit---but I have to submit to Him and agree with Him. You know, we trust legalism (me dieting) more than we trust the work of the Holy Spirit (transforming my mind). How is my mind transformed? By being in the Word---by memorizing the Word. I encourage you to take some 3x5 cards and write down verses about your body, about judgment and about security and keep them handy and read them many times a day. Keep them at different places in your house so that when you're cooking you see them, or when you're doing laundry you see them or when you're on your computer you see them.
And then start confessing these truths---out loud. When Satan has accused me or tempted me to judge these past 2 days, I've found myself lifting my arms to heaven and blessing God and praising Him for the sanctuary He has chosen to live in---me! It's made me laugh. And it's changing my mind. It's giving me a new perspective on my body and who I am. It's giving me an appreciation for my body. He loves it---and I should, too!
I'm excited to see what God is going to do!! I have no clue. But I know that I'm finally in agreement with Him for my body--His sanctuary. So yes. Report in occassionally with what God is teaching you or how your mind is being transformed. Give us practical details. And tell me what happens to your body. I can't wait to hear!

3 comments:

Julie Simmons said...

Wow! This has really got me thinking...remember how "picky" God was about the Old Testament Tabernacle, or Sanctuary, where His spirit dwelt? So many rules and regulations to keep it holy. Now He chooses to make my body His dwelling place? This imperfect body? And what's more, He trusts me with His Sanctuary? He knows that I will neglect caring for it; He knows that when stressed I will harm it by overeating. Yet He chooses this body to be His dwelling place....wow!

I keep singing that song, "We lift our hands in the Sanctuary. We lift our hands to give You the glory. We lift our hands to give you the praise, and we will praise you for the rest of our days!" He's renewing my mind. Thanks, Becky, for letting Him use you...

Anonymous said...

Ok, that sounds like hard work...but I am up for it!! Although I must say I am pretty happy with my body...I am overweight...very overweight...but I like my body. I am working with my doctor, who has prescribed me medication, to help me get to a HEALTHY weight. I will never be "skinny". I know and except that! Some of us are just naturally chunky! And chunky girls can be just as sexy (hot, beautiful...whatever adjective you want to use) as skinny girls! So I will apply this to my weight, but also other areas of me that I am not happy with...like my negative thoughts toward myself!!

Sandra said...

okay, I'm in.