Thursday, December 4, 2008

Profoundness

Jodina & I were walking this morning and as we walked and talked about God-things, He began speaking. I love when He does that!
Ok...so men, you can stop reading now. This is for the women. Or maybe you do need to read--to help you understand where we're coming from!

Why is it that we women have the unquenchable need to TALK??? Now I'm not talking about the home-from-work chatter. The "Caleb poured the cereal all over the floor," the "Isaac & Josiah made a track out of books," the "Addie didn't pee today," or the "Sadie folded her hands and prayed today." (Even though those things are all adorable!!)
No. I'm talking about the talking where we have to know WHY he (your husband) did something a certain way. WHY did he stay home from the men's accountability group that you desperately wanted him to go to? WHY is he not talking to you? Why doesn't he lead our family spiritually? WHAT IS HE THINKING???
That's our FLESH wanting to talk. Our insecurity. And insecurity is probably one of our biggest problems as women. And insecurity causes us to want to hold on to our husbands (sometimes to the point of suffocation!), to demand that they talk to us! And of course, we all know what that does to our husbands. They clam up! They run away. They resist our "clingyness."
As Jodina & I talked this over this morning, we already knew the answer. Our answer is to run to the One who already has the answers. We have to fall into God's arms and pour out our hearts to Him. Tell Him all about our troubles. (Breaking out into song here...)
The opposite of this fleshly response--to try and dig answers out of our husbands--is I Peter 3. Respect him, trust that God is working in his life. Have a heart of gratitude that God is committed to making our husbands into "mighty oaks of righteousness." (Isa. 61:3) Bottom line? Trust God. And this verse keeps coming back into my heart and mind (you'd think God wants me to get this or something!):
Proverbs 15:15 (Amp)"All the days of the desponding and afflicted are made evil [by anxious thoughts and forebodings], but he who has a glad heart has a continual feast [regardless of circumstances]."
REGARDLESS OF CIRCUMSTANCES!! Regardless of whether my husband shares his heart with me, I can have a continual feast. Regardless of whether my husband has hurt me or disappointed me, I can have a continual feast. Regardless of whether my husband is my spiritual leader, I can have a continual feast. Regardless of whether my husband romances me, I can have a continual feast.
It all depends on me. Who am I going to turn to? Who am I going to talk to? If I run to God and my needs are met there (and the only place they'll be completely met!), I can then offer my husband the respect he desperately wants and deserves. I don't become clingy and desperate. What's to be desperate about? I'm sitting at God's table and He's serving me a feast! (And we may find out that God has already done those things in our husband's life that we're so anxious for Him to do--it may have been all about us in the first place!) This journey is really all about God & me, isn't it? I'm almost 53, but I'm getting it---finally! (Boy, won't Andy be happy!?!)

4 comments:

Kara said...

Oh my goodness. I was so mad at Dave on the way to Amarillo yesterday because I wanted to talk and hit didn't see like he wanted to. I so needed this. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH alot to muster right now. THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I guess David and I have a mixed up relationship! HE is the one who wants to talk...I am the one who always clams up and stays silent. I don't mind sitting in silence for hours if need be! But he like to talk everything out! I don't like to share my heart with anyone...it hurts too much...but I am working on changing that! So...are we just weird or what?? Is there anyone else out there like that?? Do you think it has more to do with personality than gender? If anyone has any answers/opinions I'd love to hear 'em!

The Johnsons said...

Great wisdom, Becky! I love listening to your Godly advice! And I unfortunately needed to hear it more than I'd really care to admit....

Julie Simmons said...

I think I could be reminded of this daily and it wouldn't be too often! I went from your blog to Beth Moore's, and she touched on the same issue of insecurity...take a look
http://livingproofministries.blogspot.com/2008/12/survey-time-again.html