Thursday, December 11, 2008

Deep Breath

Ok. I know I confused alot of you with my blog yesterday. And it was more about me than any situation. God was exposing my heart to myself. And isn't it just amazing how God speaks to us through so many different avenues to get a message across??? Makes me think of my friend Job: "For God does speak—now one way, now another—though man may not perceive it." Job 33:14.
I've been trying to help 3-4 different families for Christmas. Not through Living Water---just different situations that have touched my heart that I knew people would want to help with for Christmas if they knew about it. And they have!! It's just been amazing.
But yesterday, I think I'd heard one too many stories that broke my heart. And I felt so helpless. I felt like everywhere I was turning, the only thing I could offer was a bandaid---when these people needed major surgery!!
And that's when God started digging. He began to show me that I've done a lot of the things I've helped with out of obedience and not from my heart. Hence, the emotions that were bubbling out. And if you know me at all, you'll know I'm not an emotional person. I've had many discussions with God about that. But it's just how He made me. In fact, as Andy was holding me yesterday afternoon as I was crying, I think he was shocked! That's how often he's seen my emotions come unglued!
So...I'm not sure what it means from here. I think more than anything it means not doing things by the letter of the law. It means getting to know people and their stories and extending grace and mercy.
The good news is that I have a very good role model right here at Living Water---Cairl Horst. What a great guy!! He ministers straight from the heart. People love him and ask about him when he's not here. He loves people and is the best model of love and grace that I know.
So yes, Virginia....there is a God. And He's been speaking to me first one way and now another...and I'm finally perceiving it.

2 comments:

amy wright said...

I think that this is what God has really called us to do. To minister from our hearts. Our family has gotten to be apart of a really neat giving opportunity and it has completely blown me away and been so amazing to see how God has touched hearts through us. It started off the way that Zach talked about and has really opened my eyes to the just "throwing my money at them" approach.
I love that Secret Millionaire show because of how it gets the people with money actually involved in the lives of those that they are giving money to.
This is great, Mom. I'm excited to see what all God does through you because of this "revelation".

Julie Simmons said...

In our own power, all we can give are band-aids, but GOD is in the heart surgery business!