Wednesday, December 17, 2008

53

Yep, I turned 53 yesterday. It's not that bad---really! Age has never bothered me. But I did tell a friend yesterday that I might feel it when I turn 60. We'll see....
I got to work yesterday morning which is our Clothing Day at Living Water. People come and "shop" for gently used clothing. I have 3 women who volunteer on Tuesdays but when I got to work, there were over a dozen cars there! I was shocked. But my mind went into gear (slower at 53...) and I decided the guys must all be there to get the food ready for our big Christmas day on Friday. So I walked in and started working. I was taking some things back to the chapel and poked my head into the food room---and there they all were---including my husband! Most of our consistent volunteers had come to Living Water just to wish me a happy birthday. I was blessed. Roger had made a cake for me and had a little candle that played "happy birthday." One of the guys who is a wood craftsman had made me an intricate ornament to hang on my tree. And there were lots of cards. Just for little ol' me! How amazing.
Other people showed up throughout the morning (some I hadn't seen in a long time--but they always remember my birthday) and gave me hugs, cards and gifts. Then 4 of my friends prepared lunch for me at one of their houses. It was so much fun! We don't get to get togegther as often as we'd like these days. They blessed me!
Andy came home from work and told me that we were going out to eat with Ralph & Gayle and then we'd shop for our single mom we're helping. So on the way, Andy pulls out a bag and he'd made me a card (said he spent an hour on it---you can tell!). There was also a beautiful bracelet in it--it had several beautiful diamonds (or diamoniques---he's on a minister's salary, after all!). It was perfect! Ralph had to call my mom during dinner and ask her what time I was born to make sure we weren't celebrating prematurely. And Gayle gave me one of the best presents---when asked, she told someone that she thought I was 44 (and in her mind, she said she thought that because she was thinking at the moment that she was 48!) I love that Gayle! We had a great laugh over how that guy must still be shaking his head!
I did have to call one son to ask him if he wanted to tell me happy birthday! ha! (Not naming any names here...) And I had to do the same with one of my adopted sons. I asked him, "Anything you want to say to me before you hang up---today???" And he got it! I love doing that--just to hear their reaction. And Keough's was priceless--he couldn't quit laughing. The funniest call I got was from David's family (oops! You know it wasn't that son...) He was letting everyone have a turn talking to me and I could hear Addie Belle in the background screaming at the top of her lungs, "I DONT' WANT TO TALK TO GUH!!!!" I loved it! And Zach gave me one of the best gifts ever (oops! You know it wasn't that son either...). He told me he was going to go get a haircut in honor of my birthday. Sigh....what a great kid, what love, what a perfect gift! I told Josiah I had a birthday party and he turned to yell at his family, "Gee had a party!" Pretty amazing stuff when your grandmother has a party!
Let me just say...if this is the way 53 is starting out, I can predict a year full of friends & family and wonderful surprises! I can't wait! And now I have this blog to refer to all year long when I forget how old I am....

4 comments:

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

I knew it was Matt!! Sorry Matt, but I just knew it! Glad you had such a special day!

amy wright said...

I'm glad that you had a good birthday. And I was guessing that it was Zach. Sorry Zach.
But it sounds like a full, perfect birthday!!

Sandra said...

I talked to Ralph too. Sorry, I had no idea when you were born - I told him I wasn't there. LOL
Glad you had a good day!

Lindsey said...

What a special day! And, you still have another gift that has yet to be opened! I'm glad you had an awesome birthday. No one deserves it more than you do! I love you!