Friday, January 8, 2010

Zachary

ZACHARY DIETZ
Born: January 7
Zach had a birthday yesterday. He's our first birthday of the year, so I decided to tell you about our birthday boy. Zach is our fourth-born child and 3rd son. He's the baby.

We lived in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma when Zach was born. I was 5 months pregnant when we moved there. There are so many stories I could tell you about Zach. One of his first memories is when he was about 18 months old. One day a few years ago, he asked me why he had to use the potty chair in the garage. WHAT??? I finally realized he was talking about when I'd put up the potty chair (because he'd been potty trained) and he'd found it in the garage---and used it!When he found out I was the "tooth fairy," he asked how I got to all those houses every night! As we were taking a long road trip and he was sitting "on the hump" up front (before car seats), he asked if all skunks were dead. (It's the only kind of skunks he'd ever seen!) All of this was just a precursor to the kind of fun we were in for with Zach. He was our family entertainment. He kept us in stitches while he was growing up. People were drawn to his red hair, his laugh and his wonderful sense of humor.

Just this last week, we watched the infomercial video that he and Ryan Maxwell made when Andy & I made our first trip to China. Two sanguines...doing some impromptu acting...that had our sides hurting from laughing so hard!! I only hope David can put it on youtube so that you can see it. HYSTERICAL! Zach was always the smallest kid on the block who tried to keep up with the big boys. He was the first of our sons who asked for a guitar. He's always had a heart for God and been very sensitive to spiritual things. He was also Class Favorite all four years in high school. (He's going to hate me for that one!)
I'm so glad I held out for four kids! I can't imagine our family without Zach, Mumzie, Hey. (His nieces & nephews' names for him) The world would have missed out on some wonderful music. He's brought so much joy and fun into our family. He's become a wonderful, thoughtful adult. But thank goodness he still has that sense of humor that keeps us all laughing! And he sure married well...Shanna completes him.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ZACH!

5 comments:

amy wright said...

Zach's birthday is January 7th. Not Feb. 7th. :)

amy wright said...

That's better. It's okay that you don't remember...he was adopted. :)
Love you, Zach!!!

Becky Dietz said...

Poor Zach. His siblings have always tried to convince him he's adopted. Had him in tears once.

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

David, don't hate me for this, but I always said that David was the BEST one of the Dietz boys--but was before I got to know Zach!! HA! Not that I think Zach is better than David by ANY means, but Fire Pits just got under my skin, and I fell in love with that kid--I think it was during a trip to Mexico that he and I bonded so much--or maybe I just bonded to him! Still love that kid so much!! Remember when he wanted to be called Paul???

Becky Dietz said...

LOL! So glad you brought that up, Marcy! Zach admired Paul O'Steen so much that he informed us he wanted to change his name to Paul. So for 12 hours we called him Paul everytime we spoke to him--which we did to the extreme. By the end of the day, he was in tears and decided he wanted to stay Zach. Come to think of it, maybe he used humor to survive! ha!