Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti


Tonight was the first time I've had the chance to watch what is happening in Haiti. It's breaking my heart. And my heart is so bound up in Haiti. It happened when I was 8 years old and first heard the story of Ti-Fam. It's a true mission story told by Child Evangelism of a young girl who was the daughter of a witch doctor who got saved at a mission started by Mr. & Mrs. Turnbull and Granny Holderman. I identified with Ti-Fam. We were about the same age. So anytime I've heard of the country of Haiti, my ears have perked up. (It's interesting...after I first wrote this blog, my sister, Sandra, emailed me with the website of this mission. She'd been researching the same thing. Haiti was on both of our hearts tonight!)
I also know that this could be any of us! Catastrophe can strike anywhere. And in Joel Rosenberg's words today: "Scriptures tell us in Matthew 24 and Luke 21 that terrible earthquakes and other natural disasters will occur in the “last days”….things will get worse, but this is a catastrophe of biblical proportions….may followers of Jesus Christ respond with prayer and practical assistance."
I was first made aware of how easy AT&T is making it for us to help on facebook by Becca Herbert. And in her words: "Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to Haiti relief efforts!! Even the laziest people on earth can do that!" LOL! Check it out. OR...you can follow my heart and donate directly to the mission where Ti-Fam found Christ on this website.
I hope God's people will rise up. Please spend time praying for Haiti.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

I was telling Benjamin about possibly raising money to help the Baptist Haiti Mission, and he said "I was thinking we could give our money to Aunt Becky so that they could go there and help." Wanna go to Haiti? :-)

Gary said...

I also always think about the story of Ti-Fam and Granny Holderman every time I hear about Haiti in the news. What a tragic situation. Thanks for the link. I went on-line and made a donation for emergency relief.

Becky Dietz said...

Ben,
THANKS FOR THINKING OF ME! I would LOVE to go help in Haiti. But I tell you what...I'll sponsor you to read some books and you can send some money to Haiti. How about that? And if Jesus tells me to go to Haiti, I'll get my bags packed!

Becky Dietz said...

Thanks for your big heart, Gary!