Thursday, January 21, 2010

Short Attention Spans

As you can tell, I've been obsessed with Haiti and what's going on there. Last night, I was watching CNN as I fell asleep and heard Anderson Cooper say that they were trying to get as much information out as quickly as they possibly could, because they knew people had a short attention span in America and would tire of the coverage soon.

So I talked to Jodina about this issue as we walked this morning. We do have a short attention span. Why is that? This mess in Haiti is not going away any time soon. And the needs aren't going to disappear. But I can tell through Facebook that people are already tired of hearing about it.

I'm not sure why our attention spans are so short. Is it because we're consumed with self? Is it because we're afraid it could be us next if we give it too much attention? Is it because we'd rather throw $10 at a need and call it good?

That's not what God tells us to do. He tells us to be like the persistent widow in Luke 18:3-8. And you know what He'll do when we keep crying out to him for justice? Verse 8 says this: "I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly."

But then he ends the verse with this question, which I present to all of us: "However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" Will He? Will we press in with our faith for Haiti (and endless other needs), or will we get easily distracted and go get our nails done? (Sorry. Just got my last glue-on nail popped off. Nails are on my mind!)

Let's HAVE FAITH! Keep praying for Haiti. Stay focused. Keep crying out to the JUST JUDGE--persistently! Paul constantly challenged one church to pray and give to another church when there was a need. We can't do less.

1 comment:

TheShermanFam said...

For me, it's not even about having a short attention span...the media isn't showing near as much as I would like because...well, probably because what you wrote, people get tired of hearing about it. Other things start happening, rain in AZ, political firsts, gay mayors, etc....and they take the spotlight. All the while Haiti and it's people are still in crisis. Why are they pushed out of the way?? Because there aren't anymore heroes saving lives under the rubble?? Can you tell I'm a little passionate about this?? MSNBC has pushed the Haiti coverage to this tiny block in the corner of the headlines...I had to really look to find it today. I want to keep watching and reading, but the media's short attention unfortunately trickles down to all of us on the other side of the box. Sad.