Monday, January 19, 2009

What in the World is Going On?

From "What in the World is Going On?" by Dr. David Jeremiah:

I John 3:2-3
"Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure."

"You would think it obvious that since signs tell us that Christ is coming soon, people would take extra care to live as God would have them live--lives of purity and holiness. If you know that guests are coming soon to your home but you don't know exactly when they will arrive, you will keep your house swept, picked up, and dusted in anticipation. You don't want them ringing your doorbell with your dishes piled in the sink, beds unmade, and mud prints tracking the carpet. The admonitions of Paul, Peter and John to stay ready by living pure and holy lives are hardly more than just plain common sense. But common sense does not always prevail in the lives of fallen humans, and that is why these apostles felt it worthwhile to admonish us to live as if Jesus could come at any moment. The fact is He can."

3 comments:

As We Are said...

Great illustration. I'll have to think on that one today. I need to make a list. That's what I do when company is coming, maybe it would help me "be more ready".

By the way, I love Andy and Phil's pic in the last post! That is great!

Tammy said...

I've heard this before and it always makes me think. You are good Sister Becky at wording things!

TheShermanFam said...

I have been mulling this over...and still am.
BTW, this could be the title of my auto-biography...I ask myself this question all the time...BIG TIME yesterday.