Monday, January 5, 2009

Holiness

II Peter 3:11-14
"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. Since everything around us is going to be destroyed like this, what holy and godly lives you should live, looking forward to the day of God and hurrying it along. On that day, he will set the heavens on fire, and the elements will melt away in the flames. But we are looking forward to the new heavens and new earth he has promised, a world filled with God’s righteousness. And so, dear friends, while you are waiting for these things to happen, make every effort to be found living peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight."

I've been thinking on holiness lately. What is it? From the study I've done, here are some words that are synonymous with holiness: set apart, righteousness, purity, godliness, devoted, consecrated.
Am I living a holy life? A life set apart to God? Am I pure in thought and action? Am I patterning myself after God? Am I righteous--not just positionally, but practically?
God instructs us in these verses that we are to live holy lives as we see the day of the Lord approaching. You know what I think? I think we're more concerned about our freedoms in Christ than we are about the holiness that God has called us to in these days.

Romans 12: 1-2
"I appeal to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you]."

2 comments:

TheShermanFam said...

Sanctification comes to my mind. We talked about this in Sunday School yesterday.

Julie Simmons said...

I have been thinking about your comment re: freedoms and holiness. I think when I was younger I equated holiness with legalism, so I guess I saw it as a continuum with freedom on one side and holiness on the other. In many ways, I've swung back and forth between the two. Now I'm thinking that holiness really has to do with freedom. We have the freedom to choose holiness. "It is for freedom He set us free." Yet "His kindness leads us to repentance" and repentance...to holiness perhaps? Thinking out loud here...great post!