Friday, January 16, 2009

Kaye's Tortilla Soup

At our life group last night, Kaye Smith made this WONDERFUL tortilla soup. I just know I've eaten this at some restaurant before. Just seeing the recipe has made me hungry for it all over again. You're going to LOVE it!

Tortilla Soup

2 whole chicken breasts (whole equals 2 regular sized chicken breasts) cooked
1 small onion, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic chopped
1 can of fire roasted chilies (United has these)
½ jar roasted red bell pepper (you and find them by the pickles at United)
½ jalapeƱo (ribs and seeds taken out) chopped
4 cups of chicken broth (or more)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (they recommended Muir Glen fire roasted, but I couldn’t find them so I used finely chopped tomatoes with chipotle chilies)
½ t. coarse salt (I used sea salt)
These are the things I added:
½ t. cumin
½ t. red chili powder
½ oregano
½ t. dried cilantro
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 can pinto beans (I mashed half of them with a fork so that the soup would have a little thickness)
I brushed the chicken with some olive oil and then put sea salt and cracked pepper on them and roasted them uncovered in a 450 degree oven for 45 minutes. I chopped/shredded the chicken into bite sized pieces.
Mix all other ingredients together except the chicken and the toppings. Bring to a full boil. Cook over medium heat until chicken is added. After adding chicken reduce heat to a simmer and let the soup cook for 30 more minutes. I poured the drippings from the chicken in the pot. There was just a little bit of grease and the rest was the great drippings from cooking the chicken.

Toppings: Cheese, Avocado, Sour cream, Fresh cilantro, jalapenos, tortilla chips

8 comments:

Gayla said...

Yum! I am going to try this.

Sandra said...

YUM! Sounds big - would it be enough to feed my family?

Janis said...

Sounds wonderful!

amy wright said...

That sounds very, very good!!

As We Are said...

Oh, tortilla soup is my favorite! I will try this for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

As We Are said...

I'm sad I missed the girl party last night. You gals party way too late for me. I just did the test and I am...

20% Melancholy
10% Phlegmatic
33% Sanguine
23% Choleric

I have no idea what any of that means so I'm off to find out!

As We Are said...

Hahaha, it says I am the circus master at home!!! I could not agree with that more. Circus is right!

Becky Dietz said...

Circus master. Never heard it put that way---lions and tigers and bears, oh my!