Sunday, January 18, 2009

Twins

Dietz Brothers in the 70's

The world of twins is special---even at the age of 58! In case you don't know, my husband, Andy, is an identical twin. Phil, his junior by 7 minutes, was here this weekend. Phil came in to fill our pulpit for one of the last Sundays we'll be without a pastor at our church. Not only that, but Andy & Phil were asked to sing this morning. Now you also may not know that singing was their occupation at one time. When I met Andy, they were singing with the gospel quartet, The Royalheirs. A year after we got married, Andy & Phil decided to go out on their own as the Dietz Brothers. (Most people called them the Dietz Twins, though.) They had a pianist that traveled with them. They were singing at least 40 weeks a year at the time---revivals were very popular in churches in the 70's. So they were music evangelists and we were poor. ha! (No seriously, we were poor.) The classic moment during that time was when a pastor introduced Andy & Phil and then had me stand up and introduced me as their wife! (Phil wasn't married for another 4 years.)
So being with Andy & Phil today brought back memories. One will start a story and the other will finish it. Interestingly, they have the same basic haircut (not the 70's style above, thank goodness!) even though they don't see each other that often anymore. Their glasses are very similar. The funniest thing to watch, though, is their hand motions and expressions when they sing. It's very twin-ish. Amanda, our adopted daughter, met Phil for the first time this weekend and her summary was this: "You are the same." When they contradicted her, she said, "No. You are the same." End of discussion! ha!
They believe the same. They've experienced so many of the same things. They've had the same jobs through the years. They also have the same passion for lost people but have different people groups on their hearts. (Phil--Romania. Andy--China.) You wouldn't have to talk to the two of them long to catch the twin-ness in them. They still look very much alike and their voices are almost identical.
And...THEY CAN STILL SING! They have very powerful voices. And their passion and love definitely comes through. It's kind of sad that they don't get to do it more often.
Being married to a twin has been very unique. I've been in the middle of their competitions more than once. I've listened to them as I thought they were going to kill each other and then act like nothing had ever happened the next minute. I've been tricked more than once by their twin antics. I also had to find "my place" in the world of twins. But I wouldn't change it for anything. And now I'm amazed at how much our sons look alike. They look more like twins than cousins. (See below) The amazing thing is that they both have red hair---and their father's don't. Zach is our son (1st photo) and Tyler is Phil & Lisa's son (2nd photo) They're both the youngest child in each family.
Twin world is amazing. But I can't imagine my world without the Dietz twins!

8 comments:

amy wright said...

I've always thought that Zach and Tyler look alike, too. And they both have haircuts like the twins. :)
Ha! Isaac was just looking at the picture of Tyler and said, "There's Mum-Z!"

Marcy Faye Hallden said...

WOW--I never knew Zach and Tyler looked so much the same. I just remember Tyler as a little boy though! Very cool!

Sandra said...

Wow - they could be twins. Are they close in age?
You should have gotten pics of Andy and Phil singing together. Last time I saw Phil I didn't think he and Andy looked quite as much alike anymore....

Becky Dietz said...

Zach is 24 and Tyler is 22 1/2.

Lindsey said...

I never realized Zach and Tyler looked THAT MUCH alike! I wish we could've been there to see Andy and Phil sing! I know it was awesome!

Julie Simmons said...

the twin thing really is uncanny. of course you know all about the Linda/Brenda twins who are SO identical, but MY DAD is also a twin! (believe me, when we started a family, we knew we could be in for a litter instead!) Dad and his brother (Perry/Paul) are not as close as Linda/Brenda, and don't see each other as often, but they do have things (like heart surgery) happen at the same times. and when they're together, it's just wild how they communicate. it's even more uncanny to me with them, since they really aren't that much alike. the twins thing has always fascinated me. love that old pic and the two cousins, wow!

Anonymous said...

what about me and matt?????

TheShermanFam said...

That is so freaky! Twin cousins...crazy!
And they did sound UH-MAZING on Sunday. I wish they would/could sing more often.