Thursday, January 15, 2009

Blessing...not a curse

Forgive me while I blog to myself. It helps me remember what God is teaching me when I write things down. I used to do it in my journal, but my poor journal hasn't seen the light of day since I started blogging.
God definitely has me on a path of self-discovery to make me more useful in the kingdom. It seems he always evens things out. As he points out deception I've believed, he then encourages me. This was one of those times.
I've often thought of parts of my personality or spiritual gift as a curse. And maybe it's been because I've heard people teach it that way! You realize we all love the sanguine---they're a party waiting to happen! But when we start talking about the choleric, we tend to point out their weaknesses...which include being bossy, impatient, quick-tempered, etc. (And it doesn't help that I'm red-headed---people love pointing that one out!) The same is true of the spiritual gifts. We love the giver for obvious reasons, we appreciate the gift of mercy because of their compassion..but when it comes to the prophet? Watch out! They'll tell you like it is with no mercy.
So...combine the choleric and the prophet into one person and do you see why I've often thought of my personality/gift as a curse?
Recently, I've been bemoaning the fact that I'm very unemotional. My poor daughter-in-law is very much like me and recently we were discussing this very thing. Andy was there as we were talking and when I told Lindsey that I'd been asking God why I was so unemotional, Andy said, "Because emotions are baggage for you! If you were emotional, you'd have to wade through those emotions to discern and speak truth." Wow!......Really?
And this week I decided to google "choleric." (You can go here and take a personality test) And when I opened this page, the first thing that caught my eye was this: UNEMOTIONAL! Double whammy! I'd venture to say most prophets are unemotional (besides Jeremiah, of course) but a choleric is also unemotional? Wow!
But God began speaking to my heart. HE CREATED ME THIS WAY FOR A PURPOSE!!! He created me to be unemotional so he could use me for his kingdom. He gifted me to speak truth for his kingdom. He created me to be a born leader, to correct wrongs, to see things black and white for great purpose.
As I thought on my personality and gift being a double whammy (because they're both so strong), I thought on 2 of my friends. One has the gift of mercy but is also melancholy---double whammy! (A sensitive, compassionate person!) The other friend is sanguine and has the gift of giving---double whammy! (A cheerful giver!)
I'm re-learning. I've studied the personalities and gifts for years and even taught them. But God is revealing things in a new way to me. I'm learning to appreciate the way God created me. I'm thankful he made me into who I am. It's made me excited to see how he wants to use me for his purpose. I've been created as a blessing, not a curse. And everything he has planned for me is the same---a blessing and not a curse. I want to discover all of the ways God wants to use ME (just the way he created me!) for HIS kingdom. And I've decided this year I want to use all he's given me with passion! (Is that an emotion?) Awesome.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I took the test...I am a phlegmatic melancholy!! Does that surprise you...ha!! And when I was at Glory House, I took a spiritual gift test...I was high in two areas. Actually they were points apart. I was high in service (no surprise!!) but the highest was...administration! Boy, I was surprised. But I guess it makes sense. I like to make sure everything gets done in a quick and orderly fashion and I will give people "assignments" to make sure it gets done...and if it doesn't THEN I do it myself! I used to HATE my personality. Sometimes I still wish I was more outgoing and chatty but I am learning to love me for who I am!!

Sandra said...

I don't believe you are unemotional. Maybe less emotional than those of us w/ mercy, but someone who cries when they play the "Ballad of the Green Beret" isn't unemotional. :-) Seriously, I think your emotions are just expressed differently-just not as strongly. But it is funny that I've looked upon all my emotions as a curse and you've looked upon your lack of emotions as a curse.

BTW, I know that you'll be totally SHOCKED to hear that I took the test yesterday and scored 0%choleric.

Sandra said...

I think it is interesting that you've always heard your gift taught in a negative light. When I've heard it taught, it was by those with the gift of prophecy and mercy was the negative one! You know, all those who people hugging and crying at the drop of a hat and have all those emotions to wade through....

Becky Dietz said...

Holly---not surprised! I would have guessed those gifts/personalities!

Sandra---Oh wow! Thanks for sharing THAT with the world! ha! I'll never live down the Green Beret story!! And no...I'm not surprised there's not one ounce of choleric in you!

Becky Dietz said...

By the way...wasn't the Green Beret story before your time????

TheShermanFam said...

Ummmm, I am Choleric Sanguine and my gift is prophecy. Is that why my mom liked you so much?? Because we have the same personality! HA!
And, yes...I have always wished I wasn't this way...Thanks for putting things into perspective! I like it when God talks to you...I always learn something, too!!
Most people would think that I am emotional, but I really didn't cry as much before my mom died. I like to think my emotions are directed at things most people wouldn't be emotional about and vice versa.

Becky Dietz said...

Ember--Your comment reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry began dating a "girl version" of himself! It just made me wonder if that's why I like you so much---I'm liking myself! ha!

Tammy said...

This was a lot to think about. I am going to go and take that test. I am pretty sure I am not choleric. Russ says I am very emotional! haha Russ & I think that was a very good statement Andy made. Had never thought of it that way at all. Becky, passion is definitely an emotion! Passion has so many different forms of feeling, don't you think?

Becky Dietz said...

OH Tammy! I can't wait to find out what your personality is. I have a feeling I know...but I could be wrong. Let me know after you take the test!!

TheShermanFam said...

LOL!!! That's hilarious...so you're just using me so you can hang out with yourself! Hmmmm, I guess maybe I'm doing the same thing!!!

Tammy said...

Becky I am

Tammy said...

ta dah! dominantly sanguine little phlegmatic - is that what you would have guessed? Russ is melancholy. We have had some good laughs over this crazy test.

Becky Dietz said...

Oh I wish I had done what I wanted to do. I wanted to write down what I thought you were so you'd see my guess---but I didn't want to influence your answers. I would have guessed sanguine/phlegmatic. How funny! I don't even know you that well, but you're so funny!! And you seem VERY laid back. That's why I would have guessed that way. (Tamra definitely got your sense of humor!)

Becky Dietz said...

Ember---I've found that I've changed alot over the years. I used to be like 90% choleric and 10% sanguine. But now I test out about 40% choleric, 30% sanguine and 20% phlegmatic. Life changes you. I've also worked on changing myself--toning my personality down a few notches. And hopefully, as we're becoming more like Christ, HE changes us!!

Tammy said...

so, what is Andy's personality?

Becky Dietz said...

Andy is a melancholy/sanguine. He's definitely a perfectionist, talented and creative, musical, idealistic and loyal. But he's also outgoing and loves to tell stories!

Tammy said...

If we keep trying to chat on these things back and forth, we may have to go live and do a chat! hahaha Where are our daughter's tonight? They could be in on this with us!!! What would you say their personalities are?

amy wright said...

I'm here! I'm here! And I'm going to do the test. See you in a bit. :)

Becky Dietz said...

Where ARE those girls???? They're going to be so sad when they see what they missed out on!!
I think Tamra is a LOT like you. I'll be anxious to hear from her. Amy is a GOOD mix between me and her dad. Amy??? WHO ARE YOU????

Tammy said...

Tamra will be sad, she likes a good girl party :)

amy wright said...

33%- Sanguine

25%- Melancholy

25%- Phlegmatic

18%- Choleric

Jay took the test for me and I okay'd it. :)

Becky Dietz said...

I KNEW all along you were a VERY balanced person! The only way you're really like me or your dad is that you have a little bit of everything in you!

Tammy said...

Amy, sounds like you are a very good mix of it all. A well balanced person!!! My balance teeters on most days :) You girls have a great night, it's been fun, I am going to bed.

amy wright said...

I took the test and thought that I must have taken it wrong. But then I read through the strengths and weaknesses and it's pretty much right on! hmmmm

Rachel said...

I have the same personality issues as you. In fact these scritures have brought some "weaknesses" to my attention. Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a hars word stirs up anger." So my friend Leslie got a hair cut a few weeks ago. She didn't really like it. It looked fine, I said it looked fine and then she asked me my hones opinion...why oh why? So I told her it looked like a brown helmet. So I took the personality test...
Phlegmatic 3%
Melancholy 18%
Sanguine 38%
Choleric 43%

So I am praying for gentleness and sweetness.

TheShermanFam said...

Here is my breakdown:
Phlegmatic 8%
Melancholy 18%
Sanguine 38%
Choleric 38%

Some of the weaknesses are not so good!! Also, thinking on this and my "friends", I'm realizing that most of our group are Sanguine/Choleric...no wonder we can never get a long! HA!!! I'm kidding, sorta, we do get along most of the time :P

Becky Dietz said...

Ok girls....my point is to focus on your STRENGTHS! We all know we have weaknesses. Satan accuses of them all the time. And another thing: focus on your spouse's STRENGTHS!! (And anyone else's, by the way) I think it will change us if we try to attain the strengths of who God created us to be!

Helen Ann said...

Hey Becky!

I read your comment on Ryan's blog about Organic food...The Scripture you pointed out was very cool...I never really thought about the connection...But wow, the distraction all this worry about what to eat and not eat causes...Not to mention the anger charged disagreements among people. I am all about eating healthy and I am big time about how animals used for food are treated. But the way this whole issue plays out fits into that verse pretty clearly. THanks for sharing! I am going to browse your bloggy blog here...It is catching my eye!

Blessings!

Helen