Thursday, January 22, 2009

Clean Hands & A Pure Heart

Psalm 24:3-5
"Who shall go up into the mountain of the Lord? Or who shall stand in His Holy Place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted himself up to falsehood or to what is false, nor sworn deceitfully. He shall receive blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation."

Remember the children's song that goes like this:
Oh be careful little eyes what you see. Oh be careful little eyes what you see. For the Father up above is looking down in love, Oh be careful little eyes what you see.
And then there are other verses:
Oh be careful little ears what you hear
Oh be careful little hands what you do
Oh be careful little feet where you go

What a great lesson to learn as a child! It goes right along with the verses above. Things are happening so quickly all around us---we live in a very fast-paced world. It's so hard to take time to read the Bible, to pray and to listen. But if we want to have clean hands and a pure heart, I'm finding it's imperative. Fifteen years ago, my life prayer became, "God, keep me in your Truth!" And He's being faithful to that prayer. This morning, he woke me up at 5:30 to remind me to have clean hands and a pure heart. I've added a new life prayer these days: "God, please give me discernment so I don't lift myself up to what is false!"

No comments: