Saturday, January 3, 2009

Holidays Gone & Randomness

Does it make you a little sad when the holidays are over? There's so much adrenaline leading up to the holidays for me---all of the cooking, shopping, planning, visiting, parties, etc. And then....it's over! Don't get me wrong. I'm always ready to get my Christmas tree down and get things cleaned up. It feels good to do that. In fact, this year, I had a few days off between Christmas and New Years that gave me even more time to clean and reflect. Maybe that's what has me a little contemplative. Or maybe it's the fact that my house has been so full and now it isn't. Or maybe it's the fact that I'm just really tired. I just wondered if it's just me or if it's a woman-thing.

We kind of have a contest in our neighborhood. Ralph is always telling the neighbors that we have to have 100% participation in getting lights on our houses---and we usually do! This year, Ralph & Andy gave Jimmy a hard time over the lights on his trees. Actually, he hired it done. But the guys that did it looped lights from tree to tree. It really did look goofy. So Jimmy took it down and only left lights on the trunks. There's still peer pressure when you're 40-60! ha! Andy went out and bought all new lights for our house after Christmas---we had 1/2 of our strands going out. And he was inspired by the houses on Lipscomb Street in Amarillo that had every branch covered on the trees. We'll see if that really happens next year!!

We had another miracle take place right here in Borger. Cindy Boyer was taken to the hospital in Amarillo with chest pains. They were sure she'd had a heart attack. We all began praying. They took her in for a heart cath---and were prepared to do surgery---but could find nothing wrong!! Awesome!

Andy is preaching tomorrow at our church. (I know he'd appreciate prayer!) Then next Sunday, Steve Taylor from Las Vegas, NM is coming in view of a call to our church as pastor. We're very excited about that. Then the next Sunday, Andy's twin brother, Phil, is coming to preach. Steve sandwiched in between the Dietz Brothers. ha!

Ryan & Addie are here this weekend, (Well, their parents came along, too) They are so funny! They got doctor's kits from Nana & Papa (Donna & Ron Maxwell) and absolutely love them! Dr. Ryan was treating us all night. He was a little giddy giving us shots--a little troubling. He set up an office behind my chair in the living room and would go there occassionally to work on his computer. (I wonder how he knew dr.'s worked on their computer?) Then he would go to the dr. store behind Pop's chair to get us medicine.
Addie is going to ballet classes and spent her evening dancing for us and doing her 3-year-old plia's. I wish I had a video camera to show you. (You have to have quick eyes or you might miss it!)

Well...those are my random thoughts this evening. Maybe my brain has just shut down and needs a jumpstart! Maybe it's just not good for me to have time off. I have to tell you this: A lady called me at Living Water yesterday (my first day back and it was only a 1/2 day) and was very upset that I'd been gone all week. She had clothes to deliver and let me know that she'd been trying to call me all week long. WOW! How do people clean closets during the holidays? It never stopped!!! (People delivering clothes during the holidays, that is.)

7 comments:

Julie Simmons said...

I feel the same way after Christmas. Mixed emotions between glad the traveling is over/ready to get back in a routine and how did it go so fast/did we make it special/(where did the money go-ha). This week I've relaxed/rested alot and not stressed about all the things I "should" be doing. It's been very nice! I can't believe it's over tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I for one am glad the holidays are over and we can get back into some sort of routine!! Winter always depresses me and I am SOO glad it is halfway over!!!!!!!!!!!!

As We Are said...

I am sad the holidays are over. We had such a sweet time this year (well besides the family pukes, I don't miss that part).
I agree on the Jane A era. BORING! I was just thinking that the other day. I would not be considered one of the refined, that is for sure. I'm more of a Jo from Little Women kind of gal.

Enjoying the journey... said...

Oh, Becky, you always make me think. I have missed your blog and it is going to take me weeks to catch up on all the posts! I too am sad when the holidays are over.....the kids go back to school tomorrow and I know we need some routine back in our lives, but I just want time to stop for a little while...Jacob is a HS junior and it is all passing to quickly!
The lights story makes me laugh.....peer pressure at 60...oh my!

TheShermanFam said...

I don't think my dad has fallen into the peer pressure. His lights didn't seem all that fabulous...don't tell him I said that! HA!

amy wright said...

I read this post and have been thinking about your last thought...the Living Water scenario. I have boxes of stuff to take to Salvation Army, but I am trying to be nice and wait until the purging season slows down a bit. I am getting rid of ALL of my Christmas stuff (except my tree, the kids' ornaments, stockings, and advent wreath). Ahh, it feels good. My dream would be to only have things in my house that are out in the open. No full closets...just the stuff that I need. It's a good dream.

Unknown said...

I hate to say that I am one of those people who cleaned out closets during the holidays. But then I did have 2 weeks off. I sent Ben over with the boxes last week but he came back and said you all were closed. Oh well, maybe sometime this week. he. he.