Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Movies...what do they tell us?


Andy & I recently went to the theater to see Son of God.  While this blog isn't a review of that movie, I just have to ask...have you noticed there's about 30 minutes of previews before the movie actually starts these days?  As we sat and watched all 30 minutes of previews, I was struck with how "dark" the coming movies were.  And by "dark," I mean movies which make you feel hopeless, the end is near, or are just full of struggle.  Four years ago (!), I wrote a blog about all of the Amish books coming out and what my take was on that.  I really believe we can see a trend in media--whether movies, books, TV shows, etc.--which is an indicator of what is going on in the human heart or in our world.

So....my take on the dark movies.  I think mankind is losing hope.  I think most people believe the American dream is dead.  And I also believe our culture believes something big is ahead--a war, holocaust, or something which is going to bring out the survivalist in us.  That's just my take.  What do you think?

The good news is...people are ready to hear the Good News!  We have a culture ready for hope.

No comments: