Thursday, March 6, 2014

Daughter's Week

Lindsey, Amy, Me, Shanna

I wanted to share my beautiful daughters with you in honor of Daughter's Week.  I have fabulous daughters--one by birth and two by marriage.  (Their own mama's did such a good job rearing them!  Thanks for sharing them with me, Shala & Kay!)  I'll just start left to right.

Lindsey is David's wife.  We had a rocky start.  It was nothing against Lindsey...it was my son's impetuousness.  I think he may have proposed the night they met.  Lindsey is everything David is not and vice verse....so they're a match made in heaven.  You never have to guess what Lindsey is thinking--which I love about her.  She is very forthright and a great protector of truth.  She's honest, caring, loves deeply, laughs easily, and has many strengths.  She's a leader and not shy to step up.  She's a wonderful mom and is rearing two beautiful, inquisitive kids.  She home schools, cooks nutritional meals, does intensive research and is a master organizer.  (We've all benefited from that gift at some point!!)  Lindsey was also an editor of a magazine and is a gifted writer.  She loves God with all of her heart and desperately wants to share what she's learned to benefit those around her.  I foresee Lindsey being a nutritionist or a counselor or both.  She's been through some incredible things and is an overcomer.  It's hard for Lindsey to see what she's overcome because she is her own worst critic.  But overcome, she has!  Lindsey's dream is to own a farm and raise her own food.  Andy & I lived with David & Lindsey for 9 months and we had some amazing heart conversations during that time.  I love her!!

Amy is my daughter by birth--the only girl in the midst of three brothers.  Amy is so much fun.  One of my favorite memories of her was when she was about 8-years-old and I was about to spank her.  She started yelling, "JESUS LOVES YOU!  JESUS LOVES YOU!"  And I laughed loudly and  responded, "He loves you, too.  Now bend over!"  That girl has made me laugh all of her life.  In fact, she called last night and I was laughing so hard I was crying.  Amy has a very tender heart even though she learned to be tough with three brothers.  (Her poor sons will never have the advantage!)  She home schooled her first three kids until last year.  And now she's a busy mom of four.  She and Jay adopted Hadassah from Ethiopia a couple of years ago.  It melted my heart, but didn't surprise me, when I found out she wanted to adopt.  I love that she encourages her children musically even after she grew up overwhelmed with her brothers' guitars!  Amy is a very loyal friend.  She has many gifts--and even hides a few.  She is adventurous, a risk-taker (she probably doesn't think she is--but she is!), and not afraid to put herself out there to make new friends.  She's a gentle leader and just as quick to step out of the way once she gets something going.  She is the best kind of encourager.  Amy also hopes to raise chickens in Dallas.  I can only hope this dream materializes so I can see what that looks like!  I foresee Amy speaking to large groups of women.  I love this girl!!  And I love sharing her with Jay's mom, Jean.

Shanna is Zach's wife.  Zach told me he was looking for a wife who knew how to worship.  And one night when he was leading worship, he looked out and saw Shanna on her face before God.  And he fell in love.  I love this about Shanna.  She is a worshiper.  She was a youth intern and mentored young girls after she graduated from high school.  We were all afraid Zach was never going to ask her to marry him--so we threatened to adopt her if he didn't propose!  Shanna is the most gentle of us Dietz women...and we would all admit that.  You'd think because of that, she would be very quiet by nature.  And she is somewhat.  But she is also hysterical!  She comes up with some of the zaniest things to do and can have all of us in stitches with her one-line zingers.  I only wish I had some videos of skits she's put together.  She is a diligent mama to two little boys who adore her.  I know she gets overwhelmed at times, but she not only keeps on trucking with her babies (and taking the cutest photos and videos of them!), but manages to do ministry at the same time.  Shanna is a gifted photographer--she's a second shooter for weddings for a professional photographer and takes our fabulous family photos!  I doubt Shanna ever owns a farm or raises chickens.  But she does love to go on cruises and snorkel under the deep blue sea--she's adventurous like that. I foresee Shanna ministering to women and especially young mothers.  I'm crazy about her!!

All of my girls are pastor's wives.  They not only manage their own homes, their children and their schedules, but are very active in their churches.  I especially admire how they support their husbands in their ministries.  In case you don't know, it's tough being a pastor's wife at times--you don't see as much of your husband as you'd like and people tend to inspect every move you make.  But these girls make it look easy.  They don't just support their husbands emotionally...they dig in and work alongside them.  They even create their own ministry in addition to helping their husbands in what they do.

These girls are also loyal to family--their own little families, our family and their other family.  I love that they have relationships with one another by calling each other and visiting one another--even doing girl trips together.  It's fun to watch and makes a mama's heart glad.  I couldn't be prouder of my girls.  They are amazing women and daughters!

3 comments:

amy wright said...

Aw, shucks. ;) Thank you for this post. I love my sisters that I always wanted. And everything you love about them, I love, too. Also, my chicken dream has passed. While the idea sounds so magical, reality seems nightmarish.

The Dietz Diary said...

Thank you for your sweet words! I'm so thankful for everyone in that picture too! I love you!!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for making me cry!! You nailed us all pretty well. And I think I could write an entire book about you and awesome I think you are. Maybe one day I will. I love my sisters so much, and I'm thankful I got them, even if I didn't have to wait until I was all grown up. You girls are all the best!