Monday, March 3, 2014

I Recommend Change


I highly recommend change.  Don't we all get in ruts in our lives?  We may live in the same place for years, go to the same church, see the same friends, know everyone at our kids' schools, and talk to the same people all the time.  I love familiarity.  As I've said before, I'm a person who loves deep roots.  And God allowed that in my life.

But then God told my husband to "get out of the box."  I'd seen it coming for quite some time.  I felt God loosening my grip on things I held dear and turning my face towards the Son who was full of creative ideas.  And I told God I was willing to do anything or go anywhere...and I meant it.  I wanted Andy's dreams realized.  (Don't think too highly of me--it took me 38 years to get there!)

I love familiarity, but change is oh, so good!  It forces us to readjust our lives.  We have new people to get to know, a new way of thinking, new places to shop, and friends to make.  It stretches us in ways we may never have been stretched.  And it gives us a fresh outlook--we're seeing things in new ways and with an adjusted mindset.  I think it's pretty clever of God to uproot us and transplant us.  It shakes things up and keeps us dependent on Him.

I grieve now when I hear someone groaning over change--or just having a negative, rotten attitude.  Here are some things I recommend.

  • Have a positive mindset.  Purpose to speak positive things about your situation.  Remember that life and death are in the power of the tongue.  The more you speak positive things, you'll find your mind quickly follows.  And remember you are the guage for your children--they're learning from you.
  • Keep God's Word close to your heart.  Remember His plans for you and your family are GOOD!
  • Ask God what He wants to teach you.  You can be sure He does.  
  • Be adventurous!  See what your new home has to offer.  Get a library card, visit the shops, try new restaurants, go a different direction each week and see what landmarks are around you.  Meet new people as you go.
  • Be brave.  Put yourself out there and meet people.  Everyone needs a friend.  And the best way to have a friend is to be one.  S-t-r-e-t-c-h yourself in this!!
  • Invite people to your home.  It may be initiating a life group, inviting some kids over to play with your kids, having a mom over for coffee, inviting a family to dinner.  Just do it!
Don't sit at home groaning.  That won't solve your problem.  I can tell you I've done it that way before and the difference is life and death.  You're not allowing the power of the Holy Spirit access to your heart when you do that.  Give up.  Allow God to speak to you.  And begin to look for the silver lining in your cloud--I can promise it's there!  God didn't bring you this far to leave you.  He's got great purpose in bringing you to this new place.

I've found change to be very good.  God is good.  And His plans for us our good.  We can trust that.

1 comment:

As We Are said...

Becky, I love this. I have had this overwhelming feeling that God is asking me to "move" as well. Hopefully it's not houses, but maybe a change of life? Not sure yet, but I'm on the look out and ready!