Monday, March 24, 2014

Making Cookies with Granny


I've been lazy today.  I'm still in bed in my pajamas reading an old journal.  In it (from 1999), I read the story of me remembering how my mom let her grandkids make cookies with her.

Granny had the recipe, she mixed the ingredients, but she let the kids stand on a chair and "help."  They agreed for the cookies.  Each ingredient didn't look like a cookie.  The dough didn't look like cookies.  But those kids trusted Granny.  If she said, "We're making cookies," they believed her and chose to participate in making them.  Now some grandkids didn't like getting their hands dirty.  They didn't want to help--they just wanted to eat the cookies!  But they missed out on the sense of accomplishment of "our cookies."  God bless Granny!  (The best I've been able to do with my grandkids is open a Pillsbury refrigerated cookie package and let them put dough on the cookie sheet.)

It reminds me of our lives.  God's promised so much.  And in the middle of our "cookie making," it may not look much like cookies--or the fulfillment of God's promise.  But we can say "It is Good!" just because we know He's in the process and we trust Him.  He has the recipe for our success!  By our act of getting on the chair, we're participating.  We're standing there in faith believing that He'll do what He says He will do.  And it may be a messy process and not at all like we think it should look.  We have to trust Him.

There's delight in sharing a cookie with Granny--a sense of working together and enjoying eating the fruit of your labors. There's also delight in looking back and seeing how God has fulfilled promises, how He's been at work in your life all the time...when each ingredient looked nothing like a cookie!

No comments: