Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Greed

I've got to post this before I forget it.  (Only I don't think I'll ever forget it!)  Jodina challenged Liz & I this morning at prayer time by asking us this question, "What would you say 'GREED' is?"  Of course, we launched into our definition of it being consumed with material things---obsessively wanting more.  And then she read this definition to us (get ready for it to hurt):

Wanting more than one needs.  Excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions.  (Here it comes!)  Wanting one's own way excessively.

OUCH!!  And then she read these verses from Proverbs 28:25-26.  "He who is of a greedy spirit stirs up strife, but he who puts his trust in the Lord shall be enriched and blessed.  He who leans on, trusts in, and is confident of his own mind and heart is a [self-confident] fool, but he who walks in skillful and godly Wisdom shall be delivered."

As we talked and allowed God to touch those now-festering places in our lives, this is the progression we saw: 

GREED > STRIFE > RESENTMENT > DIVISION > WAR > MURDER

This is confirmed in James 4:1-2  "What leads to strife (discord and feuds) and how do conflicts (quarrels and fightings) originate among you? Do they not arise from your sensual desires that are ever warring in your bodily members?  You are jealous and covet [what others have] and your desires go unfulfilled; [so] you become murderers. [To hate is to murder as far as your hearts are concerned.]"

I realized that's what I was battling this weekend.  I was wanting my own way excessively.  I was greedy.  And I also realized I can easily put a spiritual face on my greed.  In fact, I think that's a huge problem in the church.  Think about it.  Lots of people wanting their own way which leads to strife which leads to resentment which leads to division which leads to war and then murder.  (Read this!)  We may not physically kill someone, but we most certainly can do it in other ways. 
In my mind this morning, I saw that we were rallied around a banner of death.  We've murdered one another with our greed.  Tearing down that banner and rallying around Jesus Christ, Who is Life, is as easy as confessing our sin, humbling ourselves, asking forgiveness and letting God restore what's been stolen.

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will."  II Timothy 2:23-26

I now have a new definition for greed.

2 comments:

Kallie G said...

Ouch....I needed to hear(read) that today....

Emily Suzanne said...

Wow! That's really good... deep...and i agree, the church does have a problem with wanting our own way and putting a spiritual spin on things instead of waiting, bowing down to God's way.
That was good for me to hear this morning too, thanks for sharing!