Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 4: Asking God for Truth

Day 4 of my challenge.

Our pastor preached on Gideon this past Sunday and I had to talk it over with my prayer partners this morning.  This is the Truth God showed us.  Gideon was hiding in the wine presses threshing wheat.  Now if you don't know, this isn't the way to thresh wheat.  Normally, they would go to a hill where the wind would catch the chaff and blow it away as they threshed.  But Gideon was fearful of the Midianites.  The Angel of the Lord appeared to him at the wine press and said, "The Lord is with you, you mighty man of (fearless) courage."  The Angel of the Lord was prophesying his future.  He was proclaiming who Gideon would become (and who He would help get there). 

As our pastor was preaching, my eyes fell on a verse later in the chapter that I had underlined.  "But the Spirit of the Lord clothed Gideon with Himself and took possession of him..."  The Holy Spirit hadn't come to indwell people yet.  But what does that phrase say to you?  It says "power" to me!

But the Truth God showed me was that what happened to Gideon is NORMAL for us as believers!  At the point of salvation, we are clothed in Him--in righteousness and we are filled with the Spirit.  So if it says "power" to me, why am I not constantly living in that power??

It's because we have to appropriate it.  It's like we're plugged in, but the switch still needs to be flipped.  I have to choose to not walk in the flesh, but to walk in the Spirit.  And when I do...watch out!  You're going to want to read about Gideon.  I wish I could tell you he walked in that power every day, but unfortunately, he was human just like me.  And just like Gideon, I need the Spirit's help (power) to get where He wants me!

1 comment:

God's Gal Sarah said...

just what I needed to read this morning, Becky! Such and encouragement...