Thursday, April 1, 2010

Change


Change is hard.  Especially the older you get.  But you'd never know it by watching Gib.  I know I've told you about him before...

Gib, at 81 years of age, has been the food supervisor at Living Water for the past few years---even before I became the director 3 years ago.  It's a hard position.  He's ordered our food, made out a list of what we're giving away each week, kept food rotated, taken meat to get it sliced at our local grocer, picked up day-old bread, cleaned freezers, and has overseen the loading of bags of groceries, etc.  He's given us about 20-25 hours a week---volunteering!

About a month ago, Gib came to me and told me he was going to have to step down from his position.   Even though I understood, I was sad.  And I knew we'd never replace Gib.  I put the word out that he was retiring and asked some of the guys if they'd be able to step up and share some of his responsibilities.  After talking it over, and knowing our guys' time was stretched thin as it was, we decided to simplify and try to get as much done as possible on the days we had a lot of help already.  That decision was made this past Monday.

Yesterday, Gib came by just to see how things were going.  Even though he's been ready to step down, he wasn't going to leave me in a lurch.  So...I told him about our plan to utilize our help and I could tell he was having to wrap his mind around the change.  But he just nodded his head in agreement and told me he'd see me the next day.

Well, today was the implementation of the big change.  And it was a busy day.  But I stood in awe as I watched Gib.  Instead of leading, he yielded to a younger man who has assumed the new responsibility.  No one would have ever known he might have had to spend some time wrapping his mind around a new plan.  Later, our new leader told me that Gib whispered some suggestions to him a couple of times and then backed out of the way to let the leader decide whether to take those suggestions.  Gib just spent his time encouraging those around him--and telling a few jokes.  And instead of hanging around to do the finishing touches that the supervisor does, he said, "Well, boys, think I'll saddle up and head to Montana!"  And he left to go home to minister to his wife.

I can't even think about Gib submitting to our changes--our new plan--without tearing up.  What a masterful way of passing the reins--so full of grace, encouragement, and submission.  I'm so thankful that God put Gib in my life as an example of how to grow old gracefully.  That's exactly how I want to be---ready to submit to the changes God brings into my life with grace.  You're never too old to change.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

aww... Gib is one of the sweetest men! He spent a few minutes one day telling me his testimony- such a humble guy!

amy wright said...

What an incredible guy. The story made me tear up.

Jennifer @ No Place Life Home said...

Thank you for loving Granddad. I sure wish we lived closer so we could be together more often!