Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What's in a Word by Webb Garrison


Do you have someone on your gift list that has everything? This book, What’s in a Word by Webb Garrison, will fit the bill for them! This isn’t a book that you pick up and read all the way through. It’s more of a bathroom book that will keep you well entertained. As I read it, I especially thought of the men on my list who would love this book.


Webb Garrison is an etymologist (someone who studies the history of words) who loves his craft. In this book, you will find words on different subjects such as law, sports and the recent development of words for computers. Mr. Garrison gives the background of the word—where it was first used and how it developed over time. I especially liked the explanation of the phrases such as "by the skin of your teeth."  Each explanation is only about a paragraph long which makes What’s in a Word quick reading.

All in all, I found this an engaging book. Anyone who loves to read would find this book appealing. I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars. It would have made 5 out of 5 stars if there had been more phrases instead of the short words.

This book was generously provided by Thomas Nelson for my review.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

wish I'd chosen this instead of what I got!