Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 1: Asking God for Truth

Day 1 of my challenge

I'm reading through Matthew right now and I was in Matthew 26.  So I asked God to reveal Truth to me as I read it.  In verses 7-13, Mary comes and anoints Jesus with expensive perfume to which the disciples respond with indignation that the money she "wasted" could have been used to help the poor.  But Jesus tells them that she has prepared his body for burial.  Here was my question:  Did she get it?  Did she realize that's what she was doing?  Jesus had been speaking plainly to those who were following him about his death.  I believe Mary was part of the crowd that followed Jesus and heard him say that he would be killed.  Was she listening so intently that she was just obeying what God told her to do?  Was hers a response of love and obedience?

And then Jesus tells the disciples that one of them would betray him.  In turn, they each ask, "Is it I, Lord?"  And later Peter challenges Jesus' statement that they would all fall away by saying he wouldn't.  They were following...but were they listening?

That's the Truth God showed me today.  Don't just be a follower...be a listener who responds extravagantly in faith and love.

No comments: