Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Guard the Gates

It's interesting to do a study on gates in the Bible. You had a strong city when you had gates. There were many cities where the walls and gates were in ruins or never even built. They were defenseless without a wall and gates. We're told to enter God's gates with thanksgiving and praise. We're also told that the loose woman waits outside the gates. The gates are where the leaders of the city met and from where they ruled. We're to write the commandments of God on our gates so we're constantly reminded of them. And on and on....
This week, a friend reminded me that we should strengthen the bars of our gates. And I've been thinking on that. This morning, when I met to pray with my prayer partners, we were talking about how tired we all are---unusually tired! I think it's partly from the busyness of these days. I really do. It seems like time is speeding up and our days are crammed full of activity. And then I began wondering, "Is this a new ploy of the enemy? Is he trying to get us so busy, so tired, that we're not watching our gate?"
So...I'm warning you...and me. Strengthen and guard your gate. STAY ALERT! Your enemy is prowling around seeking someone to devour. I've been so overwhelmed lately with counseling women whose marriages are falling apart. (Part of my tiredness...) Spend time w/ the Lord and stay in His Word. Pray diligently for your own family and for others.
GUARD YOUR GATES!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know, as a counselor, you must get so depleted Becky. You are used so mightily by the Lord so it makes sense that the enemy is trying to get to you by means of energy, etc. I will be praying!!

Duncans in Doha said...

Great advice! I know that just getting ready for summer is making me tired and last night we were up against a parenting battle and I thought to myself "I am really too tired to deal with this". This blog post really reinforces that I don't have that option. Thanks Becky!