Monday, June 8, 2009

Present Duties

Proverbs 31:16 (Amplified)
"She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]; with her savings [of time and strength] she plants fruitful vines in her vineyard."
This morning, Jodina shared what God had taught her as we walked. It was so amazing to me that I had to share it with you.
Does anyone have trouble saying "no" to good things? We do. Jodina & I. But I'll make it even more personal. I have trouble saying no...especially where my dear friends or family are concerned. My friends & I have done so many things together---our kids' weddings, showers, redecorating, etc.,--that when asked to help, I just have trouble saying no. I don't want to disappoint them. I also have trouble saying no to helping on showers. I either feel like I "owe" the mother or I just love the kid. Jodina & I discovered that the bottom line is this: Do we want to please God or man?
But here's how to avoid being too busy, getting overloaded or worn out. Consider a new field before you buy it or accept it. It's your investments! Consider if you should invest in that shower, providing a meal for someone sick, or hosting a dinner party. Consider it. Weigh it carefully against your present duties of your family and your home. Do you have time? Do you have the money? Will it overextend you? And you may have to run it by a counsel of friends or a husband who knows you really well. And listen to their advice!!
And then....with your savings of time and strength....DID YOU GET THAT????
WITH YOUR SAVINGS OF TIME AND STRENGTH...you can plant a garden. I think we just solved the case. This is why we're so tired, so busy, so overextended! We don't stop and consider our investments. We're afraid to say no.
Jodina & I have decided to sit down with our dear friends and give each other permission to say no. And then we're going to go plant a vineyard with all that extra energy!! Grape juice, anyone? (I am a Baptist after all...)

4 comments:

amy wright said...

Can I say "no" to my kids? haha...just kidding. I believe that they are my vineyard right now.

Knock On Wood said...

Thanks so much for always sharing these revelations from your group. It makes me think, makes me reflect and helps me to always put a new foot forward. I agree with Amy our vineyard is our present family right now isn't it. Time to plant!

Sandra said...

Thanks for that reminder. It came at a good time for me. I turned down a job I really didn't want. Helping a MAN - sitting w/ him like I have been Clara. ACK! A woman is one thing...

Enjoying the journey... said...

Becky, thank you for sharing. It was a confirmation to me of what I have been wrestling out with God the last few months.