Monday, June 22, 2009

WEEK OF ENCOURAGEMENT

I was reminded again today of the needs people have---everywhere! I've never been as overwhelmed at Living Water as I was today, by not just the financial needs, but the emotional needs of people who came in. Many of you saw my note on Facebook about those needs.
And tonight, I watched some of Jon & Kate Plus 8 and learned of their separation. That breaks my heart. Sometimes we forget people on tv are real people with real needs. I've been praying for them ever since there was a hint that there were problems.
A man I work with has a son who has a tear in his aorta from his heart to his leg---a dire situation. I could go on and on. I'm sure you're the same way!
What do we do? How do we help? You know what I think is lacking in the church as a whole? Encouragement. Would you commit to encouraging someone this week? Would you ask God who you can encourage and how you can do it? It might start at home and work it's way outward. And pray. Pray for the needs you know about. What if all of us were praying for restoration of the marriage of Jon & Kate?
I DECLARE THE NEXT 7 DAYS "THE DAYS OF ENCOURAGEMENT!" Report in on how you encouraged someone and what happened as a result! And think about posting the same thing---what if we started a movement of encouragement? The world would be a happier place.

4 comments:

amy wright said...

Yes. Fun. I'm in.

Julie Simmons said...

in

ANNA-ELYSE said...

You know it's funny Becky because when my teaching summer school possibility fizzled out and it looked like I would only be working a few days a week at JCPenney, I was bummed out but then God began to speak to me on how I could use my extra time to encourage and bless others. A.K.A..., volunteer at VBS, spend more time with my dad at home, have my girlfriends from church over for lunch (I did that today), encourage my sister Sylvia who I never hardly have time for anymore (we now talk on the phone every day), and send notes of encouragement to people that God lays on my heart (I am a "writer" at heart and love sending cards & notes but haven't done it in ages because of once again...not having time!). Since working at JCPenney, I have been able to do all of these things this it's been *WoNdErFuL*!! So I say "AMEN SISTER!" to your challenge!!!!

Unknown said...

Oops! the comment above is from me and *NOT* Anna! I forgot to log out of her account. am i bad?