Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What I learned at work

Today at work, I learned how amazing God's people are! Let me back up. Last Sunday in Sunday School, a woman told us that there was an 11-year-old boy who had cancer in his leg. She asked us to pray for him and we did. Yesterday, that boy's mother called and asked for help. She is taking her son to Dallas for an appointment to find out if he's going to have to have his leg amputated....and she didn't have decent tires for her car. Fortunately, I was able to help her put 2 tires on her car. (Which is all she needed) Because I helped her, I was privy to her financial situation. I asked a few questions about her arrangements in Dallas. She, her mom, her son and daughter are staying at the Ronald McDonald house. She said medicaid had sent a check to help them get there. And then she left to go get the tires.
I sat here and could not get them out of my mind. So I shot off an email to some people in our church and told them about their situation. I told them that she was supposed to come back to LW before 3 and her need was immediate and if they felt led to help, it would have to come as soon as possible!
Five minutes later, a man called and had a $100 Visa gift card he wanted to give. He had it here five minutes later. A young woman, who had experienced a big disappointment in her life recently, came in with another $100. About twenty minutes later, a man called and said he was sending $100 down to me through another man who would deliver it. The delivery man decided to chip in another $100. And I gave her a $30 gas card from LW. $430 in about 30 minutes! AMAZING! (As I was proofreading this, another woman came in with $40 to help with a tank of gas, she said!)
I called the mom and asked her if she could come back up for the gas card. When she came in, I had all of this money for her. She started crying. I told her it wasn't from LW, but from God's kids who knew of her situation and wanted to help. It was then that she told me medicaid had sent her $37 for her expenses---to get from Borger to Dallas!! She had no idea how she was going to take care of all of the other needs.
Today at work, I learned how well God's people take care of needs. I love God's kids!
*Update: Before they left town, they had $590 in gift cards and cash! AMAZING! And the last woman who gave suggested snacks and bottled water--which LW supplied! So glad she thought of that!!!

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

That is so encouraging to me! How can we ever doubt that God won't meet our needs, right where we're at? And that lady wasn't even asking for all that, and God delivered anyway! Wonderful story!

Rachel said...

Awesome encouraging story of how God's takes care of all our need and of your obedience to being the instrument and how it all ties together for His glory. Amen!

Tammy said...

Becky this was an awesome read to start my blog snooping off with tonight. Thank you for sharing it. It is amazing how God can bless us in so many different ways. I think ya'll received a blessing as much as the family did.

amy wright said...

I love it!! I hope she feels loved by God.

Becky Dietz said...

I talked to her about the Lord and she is a believer and, in fact, the boy had become a believer this past Easter!! They just recently moved to Borger and haven't found a church home, but she said when they got back, they were definitely visiting our church. I got to pray with her before she left. What a blessed day!

Unknown said...

Wow! Talk about goosebumps from God.