Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rebecca & Prayer


We prayed.  We asked.  We believed.  We reminded God of His promises.   We obeyed. 

We learned of Rebecca through our van drivers one day.  They knew we had been there with medical doctors before and thought we might be their last hope for Rebecca.  They told us of their friend who was very sick--throwing up at least twice a day.  We had no idea what was wrong with her.  But we were willing to visit her and find out if there was anything we could do to help.  As our team visited her, they led Rebecca and 6 of her family members to Christ!!  We were in awe.

Pete, Loren & Tina spent the next day taking Rebecca to the hospital and learning she had Hepatitus B.  They also learned the doctors wanted to do three blood transfusions and really gave her no hope.  They learned, too, that it would cost about $30,000 U.S. dollars.  None of us had that.  When the rest of us returned home that night from our long trip, we found 3 very sad friends.  They'd fought to get help for Rebecca---as much help as they could afford.  At least she was in the hospital and her family was very appreciative.  In fact, Rebecca's aunt later told Tina that she'd told Rebecca that night, "You now have a new Mama--an American Mama!" because Tina had fought so hard for her.

The next day, we all met to pray.  We poured out our hearts for Rebecca.  We already loved her deeply.  We asked God to heal her.  We all imagined what would happen if Rebecca walked out of that hospital healed!!  Doctors would know God was real.  A whole village would turn to Christ.  I remember someone reminded God how much this situation seemed like the situation of the paralytic's friends lowering him through the roof to Jesus.  The van drivers had brought her to us---and we were bringing her to the Great Physician.  We knew we had no power...no help for someone dying of Hepatitus B.  But we knew God did.  And we asked for a miracle.

And then we went to visit Rebecca in the hospital...a bare bones hospital.  We were all so moved.  Rebecca had such a sweet spirit.  She had to be in pain, but her smile lit up the room.  She had no fear.  Loren felt led to read the Word over her and then he and Pete sang the Word over her.  You knew the presence of the Spirit was in the room.  We all believed.  We went out into the waiting room with Rebecca's parents and discussed the hospital situation.  The hospital wanted more money---and these parents wanted to do everything possible for their daughter---even though their life savings was depleted.  All her mother could do was sit there and cry.  I was moved with compassion.  I couldn't imagine my own daughter being in that situation.  So I sat with her and prayed over her with my tears mingling with hers.  She couldn't understand a word I said...and yet, she could.  And that day, Rebecca's father came to Christ.

We collected money among us.  And we came up with $700 U.S. dollars.  It was enough for now.  We left with heavy hearts...but believing hearts.  I kept asking God what He wanted to do.  (Faith comes by hearing a word from God)  I heard nothing.  I asked for a sign (and reminded Him how He answered our prayers a few years ago with rain)---and it began to rain.  As we got on the bus, Ember began singing "Healing Rain."  We believed God was going to heal Rebecca.

The next day, they did a blood transfusion.  And then the next day, Loren called the family---and REBECCA answered the phone!!  She sounded wonderful!  Our hope was high!!  We just couldn't imagine God doing this any other way.  Why would He not want to glorify Himself through her healing?  What better way to guard these new believers' faith?

But we got home and found out Rebecca died the day we touched down in the U.S.  Her funeral was the next day.  I wasn't mad at God.  I wasn't even disappointed.  I knew Rebecca was in His presence.  I was just reminded, once again, that God's ways are not my ways.  His ways are higher than my own.  I don't know what He's wanting to do through this situation.  I don't know how He's crafting this family's faith.  I don't know what He's wanting to display to these doctors or to this community.  And I don't know but that His Word will spread faster because a few Americans, who loved God, got involved.

I know that we did what we were supposed to do.  We were moved with love, we gave, we prayed, we believed, and we obeyed.  And just like when we share our faith----the results are left up to God.  He knows best.  I don't understand it...but I trust His heart.

And besides all that, I've been thinking on Rebecca.  Can you imagine being a 23-year-old girl who is dying and has no hope?  And some people show up and tell you about Jesus---and you believe!  And before a week is up, you are in His presence? 

Can you just imagine???

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

That is a beautiful story. Tears are running down my cheeks as I read it. How amazingly divine that you and the team were there, at Rebecca's and her family's most desperate moment, to show them the hope of Christ! She could have died with no hope, full of fear, and her family would've been crushed. Instead, God did a miracle! Maybe she wasn't "healed", but her entire family came to Christ because of this illness. Who knows if she wasn't sick that whole time just for her family to know the saving love of Jesus? I love it!

Becky Dietz said...

Someone at church reminded me this morning that the timing of our trip was perfect for Rebecca. Amen.

Jana Thompson said...

Thank you, Becky, for sharing this awesome story. I'm thanking God that your team was there for her. Only He knows what will come as a result of this. I'm so thankful we can trust His heart even when we can't see His hand! Jana