Saturday, August 7, 2010

Holy Vocabulary by Michael Kelley


Holy Vocabulary by Michael Kelley.  Wow!  I've followed Michael's blog long enough to know that his heart and mind intrigue me---so I wanted to read his book.  

This book is promoted as a guide to understand the language of the Christian subculture.  Michael's premise is that we've used some words so often or heard them so much, that they've lost their meaning even to us, as Christians.  True.  I also believe it would be a helpful resource for non-Christians to understand where this subculture is coming from.  It's designed as a small group Bible study and even has a leader's kit available.  Check it out here.

But...this book is so much more.  You will find nuggets of treasure throughout this book.  Michael is a deep thinker who is able to put his thoughts on a level where they're easily understood.  There are also footnotes that give a scriptural or historical note, send you to watch something on Youtube, or give you a random thought from Michael's brain.  He has a way with words, a great sense of humor, and a way of hitting the mark in your heart.  For instance, this, from the chapter on "LOST":  
"It's humiliating.  After all, we should know where we're going.  We're educated, sophisticated people.  We're grown-ups who pay the rent and the TiVo bill.  We're self-reliant, yet when we're lost, we find ourselves standing in front of the beef jerky and slurpies with our hats in our hands begging for help."

I would have told you that I really had a handle on all of these words before reading the book.  After all, I'm old enough to be Michael's mother and grew up in the generation where these words were used and explained often.  But as I came to the word "REPENT," God moved on my heart.  I saw my own heart through his definition and explanation and repented.  I can't tell you the number of times I would have to put the book down, have a little talk with Jesus, and deal with my own heart.  My book is now full of orange ink which marks incredible quotes and insights by Michael.  If you're intersted in reading more, I've put a few on facebook.  But better yet, just get the book.

This book would fit any small group--from the baby or carnal Christian all the way to the Greek scholar--and any age group.  In fact, I had my own small group in mind as I read, knowing it would hit the broad spectrum of that group. 

Michael has sent me an additional copy of Holy Vocabulary to give away to a reader of this blog. If you want to be entered in the drawing, all you need to do is post on your blog, Facebook, or Twitter feed about the Holy Vocabulary giveaway with the tag #holyvocabulary, linking your readers to where they can order the study (threadsmedia.com/holyvocabulary). Then, come back to this page and post a comment with a link to your social network post. I'll randomly choose one winner from those who posted to receive the leader kit.

You're gonna love it---I promise!  I give Holy Vocabulary 5 out of 5 stars.  

10 comments:

The McCown's said...

Okay, Becky...I'm a rookie on this kind of stuff. Hopefully the link will work 'cause I'm diggin' what I'm reading on this book/study!! Hope I win!! ;o)

http://threadsmedia.com/holyvocabulary

The McCown's said...

Oh wait!! It was supposed to link to my facebook!! Errr...hang on while I figure this out. Hehehe!!!

The McCown's said...

It's on my blog...
http://themccownfamily.blogspot.com

RyanG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RyanG said...

On my facebook Aunt Becky. Took me a minute to figure it out but I got it...I think.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000194863656

Juanita said...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1231423932

Lindsey said...

PICK ME, PICK ME!

http://todayindietzville.blogspot.com/2010/08/holy-vocabulary.html

As We Are said...

I did it!! I posted about it on Facebook. I'm not sure how to link it, sorry! Pick me, not Lindsey!! :)

Sandra said...

I think sister entries should at least be counted twice!! I REALLY want this!!!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1100736181

Mark said...

Here ya go on my blog.

http://malangford.blogspot.com/2010/08/holy-vocabulary.html