Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It is not good...

Have you ever noticed how quickly a man will remarry after his wife dies?  I hadn't noticed until I was a young adult and the mother of one of my girlfriends died.  Her father remarried within 2 weeks!  WOW!  

I know my mom used to talk about how lots of widows became vultures whenever a man became a widower.  Casseroles found their way into his home in hopes of getting his heart.  And the fight was on!!

I googled the U.S. ratio of widows to widowers and found this: 
"There are more than 13.7 million widowed persons in the United States, over 11 million of these being women. (American Association of Retired Persons 2001) Female survivors have been outdistancing their male counterparts by a continually widening margin and now represent approximately 80 percent of the widowed population in the United States. In 1940 there were twice as many widows as widowers; by 1990 the ratio of widows to widowers had climbed to more than 4 to 1. This ratio is expected to widen in the future."

Those statistics easily explain the fight in the preceding paragraph, don't you think??  I know I'm skipping all over the place, but the point I wanted to make is that you see LOTS of widows who never remarry.  But very few widowers remain alone.   (I know...I think on some things way too much!)  But one day as I pondered this (yes, I pondered this more than once), a verse popped into my mind:  "It is not good for man to be alone."  Genesis 2:18.  So there you go! 

I've tried to prepare my kids.  I've told them that should I die first, to expect their dad to remarry.  In fact, I bless him ahead of time.  I've seen so many situations where a person remarried after the death of their spouse and lots of their kids never adjust.  Many feel like the new spouse is trying to replace their parent who died.  Or they feel displaced--or they just know their family will never be the same.  But when you see that "it's not good for man to be alone," it becomes a little easier.  It was in God's mind all along.

6 comments:

amy wright said...

Please don't die first. I mean, I know that you are telling me to prepare my heart just in case. But seriously...ugh!

Tammy said...

i've always told Russ to not be picking her out at my funeral! :)

Mary B. said...

Becky, We have a widower friend and the "casserole ladies" started coming the same month his wife died. We've laughed about this, but I was amazed at how quickly our friend had ladies calling on him and bringing him casseroles. Thanks for sharing the scripture. So, it's biblical. Hmmm...

Becky Dietz said...

Amy, I have no plans. Seriously.

EXACTLY, Tammy!! LOL!

See, Mary? It's universal. I'm guessing the casserole-thing must work.

Lindsey said...

I agree with Amy. Please, PLEASE don't die first.

Janis Dietz said...

Yep, they really need that "helpmeet", don't they? :-)

The interesting thing to me is the different categories of widows that one sees out there. Won't go into it right now; will think more on it.

You make good points about preparing the kids, though. I haven't done that!