Thursday, August 12, 2010

Please don't be my mother

Sometimes I hate posting what God is teaching me.  But I always think if younger women should be reading this, it would be so awesome if they could avoid the same mistakes I've made.  So here we go...I'm baring my soul.

I have to preface this by saying I have the best husband in the world.  Ask my mom.  She loves Andy and has told him repeatedly through the years what a great husband and dad  he is.  He's the best.  He doesn't get angry very often.  In fact, it's so rare, that we all remember those special times he did!  And they were special.

But I seem to have a natural tendency to do those things that will cause him to sternly rebuke me with:  "Please (he's not perfect---he doesn't always say 'please') don't be my mother!!"  And he's not referring to his own mother.  He wants me to quit controlling.  My art of controlling, I might add.

We married women all have that tendency.  It was given to us the day we got married.  That curse was placed on Eve and each subsequent wife.  Of course, Jesus came to break all curses...but we have to appropriate it.  I've tried....oh, how I've tried!  I don't like being controlling.  And yes, I've examined it and know exactly why I do it.  Thank you very much.

As I walked with my prayer partner this morning, I think I had a breakthrough (after only 35 years of marriage).  We were discussing this very subject and I told her that I needed a picture or something to grab ahold of to "get it!"  And this picture immediately came into my mind.   I wouldn't "mother" an unruly child at a restaurant...I would expect his own mother to discipline him.  That child isn't mine.  I have no right.

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  My husband isn't my child to "mother" either.  He doesn't need my instruction, correction, or suggestion.  He has a Father.  And it ain't me. 

Please Lord, let me pass the test I know You're about to send!

2 comments:

amy wright said...

Let us know how it goes. :)

Julie Simmons said...

k, so...i want to see the picture you find of any unruly child in public!! :) (but make sure it's not my child....cuz it could happen :)

love you! and thanks for posting this for us "younger" (LOL) women...but we NEVER try to control our husbands :)